Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

529.  "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow"
May 29, 2012
James 4-Part 3
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
James 4:13-14


LET IT GLOW

One cool, early morning, as usual, I looked out the window of our front door at the pond across the road. The scene over the pond got my atention. I had to go step outside to take a closer and clearer look. The previous week's temperature had been warm for spring. As I stepped out, the cool breeze hit me. That was the reason for the scene on the pond. There was a fog hovering over it, like none I had ever seen before. It wasn't covering the entire pond, just in one spot. It was lifting up, up, and away, as if the Lord was standing over the water, disappearing. Okay, I have an imagination, But it was an unusual sight, a breathtaking one I might add. Isn't that the way life is- here today, gone tomorrow?

One thing is certain in this life-life is uncertain.
How quickly the days are passing. Half of the year will soon be over. It's true that time goes by faster as you get older. It seems as though yesterday our children were toddlers, that the day before yesterday, I was a child at home with my parents.
I wonder, am I doing what is important or wasting my time? Am I doing God's will or my will?

It seems that this person in the illustration, must be a wealthy merchant, talking to his business associates. What can I learn from him?
  • Include God in my plans; seek His will concerning events and decisions.
  • When I find God's will, have unwavering faith that His will is best.
  • Submit to God's will for my life and do it. Don't be independent, but dependent on His promises, power, and Word.
  • Life is uncertain, so I'm going to trust His leading and follow His steps. (Only He is sovereign.)
  • He alone knows the future and reveals it to whom He will. I am limited in my understanding.
  • Life is short, like a puff of smoke, vapor, a breath seen in for a second in cold air, so live it without regrets.
  • Soon I will be gone from my little world, in the ground bodily, but in heaven spiritually.
  • If the Lord wills, be willing to have something interrupt my plans, and cheerfully make the most of it. Conform to His will, whatever it may be. Everything is contingent on God's will. (Blake)
  • Life is fragile, handle it with care. Consider others.
  • Only God gives us breath of life, so live it for Him.

LET IT GROW

For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (verses 15-17)

A man who brags about future plans while ignoring God's sovereignty is foolish, but more than that his attitude is evil. The extent of this marks the depravity of contemporary society. (Falwell)

It is the height of arrogance to disregard God as the master of our fate. As Psalm 14:1 says, The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God' (emphasis added).  It's a fool's game to play God; nevertheless, James knows that some would rather take the risk and play than humbly submit to the Lord. (Swindoll)

How do I stop playing God, living by my rules, ways, and plans?
  • Get into God's Word.
  • Start doing what is right according to His word.
  • Stop running others down and let God do the judging.
  • Instead of seeking to control, learn to submit to God and follow. (Swindoll)
LET IT GO

Leave the control, reins, to God. Surrender to His plans, His ways for my life.

Find out what pleases God from His Word and strive to please Him, not self.

No comments:

Post a Comment