Monday, May 7, 2012

Old Wringer Warsher Machines

513.  "Old Wringer Warsher Machines"              May 7, 2012
James 1-Part 9
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.  James 1:21

LET IT GLOW

Growing up on the farm, I didn't think it unusual for our neighbors to raise a big garden and wear overalls. The ones next door were an elderly couple. Probably once a week was all that his overalls got washed. As a child, I recall going to the local laundry mat with her. First, she would use the agitating part of the machine with laundry soap to wash the dirty clothes, which was an open tub. (Hillbilly slang called it a warsher machine.) Then she would hand feed her husband's overalls through the wringer, which was two bars on top that rotated. I think she had to do the same procedure for rinsing. May I add, there were modern washing machines available, but she chose this old timmy one. Come to think about it,the one she used may have been modern to her, since she was in her 80's at the time. I can't remember, but she probably hung the overalls out on the clothes line at home to dry instead of using the clothes dryer at the laundry mat. Anyway, her husband had to take off those dirty overalls in order for them to be washed. Our verse tells us to put off something. Let's find out what it is. But first:

Humbly accept the Word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.
NLT verse 21b
In humility receive the Word implanted, which is able to save your souls.  NAS verse 21b
One essential ingredient for receiving truth is having the right attitude. James wants our attitude to reflect humility, which means "with gentleness, openness; having a teachable spirit." Coupled with this, he says there must also be an action-receive meaning "welcome." So, whenever truth knocks, we're to open the door and welcome it with great hospitality. (Swindoll)
The engrafted word, the implanted message of the gospel, should be received by Christians (brethren) with unqualified submissiveness. The phrase, able to save your souls, points out the inherent efficacy of the gospel with they have already accepted. (Falwell)

The Word of God had the power to save my soul? It showed me that I was a sinner in need of a Savior. It teaches us about the substitutionary death of Jesus on the cross for me, His resurrection from the grave, and His intercession for me to the Father. It changes my heart daily as I surrender to Jesus.

LET IT GROW

Now let's look back at the beginning of verse 21. It tells me to:
  • lay apart all filthiness-Apart means "to put off or away which any one gives up, renounces"; filthiness means "wichedness as moral defilement." Just as I put off dirty clothes, I am to put off sin prior to receiving God's Word.
  • lay apart all superfluity of naughtiness-Superfluity refers to "the wickedness remaining over in the Christian from his state prior to conversion, abundance, superabundance"; naughtiness is "malice, ill-will, desire to injure, badness, evil." (Thayer's Lexicon/Young's Concordance)
  • receive with meekness the Word-Meekness refers to "mildness, humility." (Strong's Concordance)
"This is an expression of coarseness rather than immorality," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

"James is saying to us, as you're slow to anger and to speak, carry that out in your daily living by laying aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness. Our words and outbursts of anger reveal the true person within us. As we become more and more possessed by the Holy Spirit, we'll enjoy the fruit of the Spirit. Listen to God's Word and the guidance of the Holy Spirit," states Preacher's Commentary.

Do I prepare myself for receiving with humility, God's Word of truth? Do I put off immorality, confess my sins, and seek God's forgiveness.

After I've heard the truth, and the Holy Spirit convicts me of sins, so I let it go in one ear and out the other? Or do I deal with what I have heard?

* Here's a funny:This topic reminds me-as a child, my daughter learned a song that went this way:"Oh you can't get to heaven in dirty blue jeans, 'cause God don't have no warsher machines up there." We would laugh at her accent and slang of the hills, while she was raised in the flatlands of our state, 6 hours away.


LET IT GO

Prepare to hear God's Word by confessing my sins.

Humbly accept His Words of instruction.

Be ready to apply it to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment