Monday, May 14, 2012

An Eight-Pound Pumpkin Pie

518.  "An Eight-Pound Pumpkin Pie"          May 14, 2012  
James 2-Part 3
What use is it, my brethren, if a man says he has faith, but he has not works?  James 2:14a

But someone may well say, "You have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."  James 2:18 NAS


LET IT GLOW

I can blame the pumpkin pie I ate at Thanksgiving. Yes, I ate the whole pie during the week to follow. Hubby doesn't like it. I couldn't let it go to waste. (Should have given it away.) Up until then, I had been doing fine in keeping off the 22 pounds I had previously lost. You must know, my weakness is sweets. Little did I know that pie was only the beginning of my eating cakes, donuts, cheesecakes, cinnamon rolls (pieces, not whole ones). As I watched the scales move upwards and flab come back on my waist, I became frustrated. I didn't want to gain it all back.It was too hared to get it off. Besiedes,  I enjoyed the freedom of comfortably wearing size 10 jeans. Finally, the talk with myself informed me that if I didn't do something, like saying no to desserts, I'd never get back into those jeans again. I might as well throw them away. Now I am on my diet again, today. (Yesterday I blew it eating blueberry cheesecake for my son's birthday party! Oh my it was delicious!) Can you relate, friends? Isn't it better for my soul to gain than my physical body? Is my faith increasing like my weight has increased? 

Paul says in Romans 3:28, Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Ephesians 2:-9 says, For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

2 Timothy 1:9 states, Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purposes and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

Titus 3:5 states, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.

It was Martin Luther that began the Reformation with the cry of  Justification by faith alone.
What is genuine, true, real, and living faith like? That seems to be the theme of James' letter.

In his book, James, Practical and Authuentic Living, Charles Swindoll tells us"
Genuine faith produces genuine works. Paul stresses the root of salvation, which is faith in Christ plus nothing. James calls attention to the fruit  after salvation. In contrast, Paul looks at life from God's perspective, while James looks at life from a human perspective. When Paul uses the word justified, he means the act of God at salvation whereby He declares the believing sinner righteous while still in a sinning state. James uses it to mean "validate or evidence." We justify or prove our faith, by our works.

Looking at verse 14a, what good is it if I say I have faith if I have no works to justify that claim?  Isn't it like having a drivers' license and not driving? What good does it do me to have it? None. so what good is faith if it doesn't produce works? Can that kind of phony faith save? No. Reformationn leaders said that we're justified by faith alone, but not by the faith which is alone. Genuine saving faith is accompanied by fruit; itls not found in the empty wastes of hollow words.  (Swindoll)

James illustrates four marks of genuine faith:
1. It is not indifferent but involved. Verse 15-16 illustrate empty platitudes we receive instead of real
    help. The proof of genuine faith is in the real food and real clothes. 1John 3:17-18 tell us to love in
    deed and truth.
2. It is not independen but in partnership. (verse 17) Like a horse and carriage, love and marriage,
    you can't have one without the other. Faith wasn't designed to be alone, but partnered with works to
    prove its existence.
3. It is not invisible but on display. (verse 18) Show means to bring to light, to display or exhibit. If
    faith doesn't show, you don't have it.
4. It is not intellectual but from the heart. (verse 19a) We can have a head knowledge and not a heart
    knowledge. Demons know there is an all-powerful God. Genuine faith has both.
[Reference: James, Practical and Authentic Living by Charles Swindoll]

Faith alone saves, but the faith that saves is not alone-it has good works with it. (Guzik)

Is my faith genuine, revealing itself in works? Do others see me helping those in need? Am I sharing the love of Christ like He wants me to?


LET IT GROW

We can see if faith is alive if accopanied by works, if not, then it is dead. Living faith is demonstrated in loving action. (Guzik)

Is my faith dead, without works, only a false profession?

The Thompson Chain-Reference Bible says:
The marks of a false profession are:
1. Careless and forgetful hearing of The Word (1:22-24)
2. The semblance of religion, accompanied by the unbridled tongue (1:26)
3. Respect of persons; honoring the rich and despising the poor (2:1-9)
4. Partial obedience to the law (2:10-12)
5. Unmercifulness (2:13)
6. Mere profession of faith unaccompanied by acts of mercy and help (2:14-16)
7. Inactive faith (2:17-18)
8. Intellectual assent to truth, without change of character (2:19-20)
So if I don't want my faith to be false or a dead faith, I should do the opposite of those things listed above, right?  I should remember, memorize Scriptures, control my tongue, treat people the same, obey the law, show mercy, and help others, let the Word change my character. Whew! I have homework to do!

LET IT GO

Put love into action.

Show others my faith by my good works.



No comments:

Post a Comment