Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who do I Resemble?

524.  "Who do I Resemble?"                     May 22, 2012
James 3-Part 4
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.   James 3:9-10


LET IT GLOW

I never thought that I looked like my mother until a complete stranger came up to me once at a graveyard and said that I must be Mom's daughter. Family members say I resemble Mom. Well, I knew I had her wide nose, but I always thought I have Dad's long nose (his was pointed). At any rate, I don't stand a chance-I have a big nose. In fact, I am surprised that kids didn't tease me while growing up. My husband did years ago-saying it was my umbrella, don't look up or I'd drown. Finally, he stopped teasing when I  told him those comments hurt my feelings. You know, when I look in the mirror, I don't notice my nose, but the wrinkles that are developing. A big nose is the least of my concerns. Who do you resemble?

Similitude (homoyosis in Greek) means after the likeness of God; assimilation, resemblance.
(Thayer's Lexicon, Strong's Concordance)

We are made in the image of God, all of us. We have a soul and a spirit. That is how we differ from animals.
When we curse human beings we are assaulting God also, for we humans were created in the likeness of God. (Baker)

Man is a "rational, self-conscious, self-determining creature, capable of obedience to moral law, and intended by God for fellowship with Himself." (Stephen Barabas in Zondervan Pictorial Bible Dictionary)

In spite of man's fall and resulting wickedness, he still bears God's image (ICor. 11:7, Gen. 1:26, Gen. 5:1-3) although there is an infinite qualitative differene between them man resembles God in a way which distinguishes him from the rest of God's creation. The main view of scholars are bodily form, dominion over the animal world, moral nature, and personality. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Ephesians 4:23-24 says, And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Do you recall that we are still discussing the tongue in the third chapter of James? The tongue can be used for the highest calling (to bless our God) and for the lowest evil (to curse men). but in those who are born again, it shouldn't be said that out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. Our speech should be consistently glorifying to God. We shouldn't use one vocabulary or one tone of speaking at church, and a different one at home or on the job. (Guzik)

Jesus had some things to say about our words in Matthew 12:34-37. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks; a good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things, likewise for evil words come from an evil heart; one day we will give an account for every idle word we speak. (my paraphrasing)

Is my tongue praising my Lord Jesus and heavenly Father? Or is it saying bad things about people?Are my words resembling Jesus? Do I bless God before meals, with other saints, verbally, in prayer, with songs? Which do I do the most of during a day's time? I don't like my answer.

LET IT GROW

In verse 9, curse means to imprecate evil on (imprecate means to involk a curse or evil upon); doom.

It sounds rather strong, doesn't it?
James goes on to make four comparisons within nature:
  • A fountain cannot produce sweet water and bitter. (verse 11)
  • A fig tree cannot produce olive berries. (verse 12)
  • A vine cannot produce figs. (verse 120
  • Salt water cannot be made sweet. (verse 12)
According to ordinary operations of nature, these things are impossible. Grace can make the same moiuth that "sent forth the bitter" once, send forth the sweet for the time to come. (Adam Clarke)

A mouth that condemns men while praising God lacks credibility. That sort of person would have a shallow Christian experience, if one at all. (Falwell)

Three illustrations from nature demonstrate the sinfulness of cursing. The genuine believer will not contradict his profession of faith by the regular use of unwholesome words. (MacArthur)

Who do I resemble-God or the devil?

What to do? Check out our previous lesson for Scriptures. I am finding that when I am giving thanks or singing praises to Jesus, I am not thinking bad thoughts nor saying the wrong things.

Psalm 19:14 in NLT says, May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

This is my prayer.

LET IT GO

Lord, let me bite my tongue when  I am saying things that You don't want me to say.

Keep my heart and tongue clean. 

Love others and leave the judging to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment