Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Do I Resist Temptations?

510. "How Do I Resist Temptations"                        May 2, 2012
James 1-Part 6
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.  James 1:13-15

LET IT GLOW

Chocolate candy or anything chocolate does not tempt me. I rarely eat it because I don't like chocolate. I know, I've been told that I am wierd.  However, if carmel candy is lying around, or even strawberries, cheese cake, ice cream, sweets,chips, now that's a different story. If I see it, I want it, and I eat it. So I have started putting sweet snacks in the cabnet drawer, out of sight, out of mind. I have gained back 8 pounds during the winter and I am not pleased with the way my spring clothes don't fit. Oh, it's time to do something about it. How do I resist temptations? Do you have a similiar problem? Maybe we can get some help in James 1 today.
Faith is tested by trials and temptations. There is a difference-trials are without a person, on the outside, and temptations are within a person, an inward thing.
Temptation is powerful only when faith is weak. What kind of faith? It is faith in God's ability to provide that which a believer truly needs in relation to the object of his or her temptation. (Baker)

Verse 13 says for us to not say that God is tempting me. God is never tempted to do wrong, and He never tempts anyone else. Like Adam and Eve blamed another for their sin, then ultimately Adam blamed God for giving him that woman as to the reason he sinned. It was not true. God is untemptable and unable to sin.

Tempted, used 4 times in verse 13, means "to solicit to sin." (Thayer's Lexicon)
Webster defines tempt as "to entice to do wrong by promise of pleasure or gain."

Charles Swindoll gives us four facts that describe temptation:
  1. Temptaion is always present in life. (verse 13a) The author said when and not if  we are tempted. It is a lifelong battle. We are responsible for our reactions to temptations.
  2. Temptation is never prompted by God. (verse 13) The word of means "from" apo  in the Greek. It shows that God is not even indirectly involved in tempting us to sin.
  3. Temptation follows a consistent process. This process of allurement is like tempting a fish with bait. (verses 14-15)
          First the bait is dropped. Satan knows when, where, and how to drop bait in front of us that
          might lure us away from God.
          Second, our inner desire is attracted to the bait. In order to pull that fish out from its comfortable
          hiding place, we've got to find a bait that will interest it, one that it can't resist. Once the bait is
          dropped and the fish sees it, it's as good as caught.
          Third, sin occurs when we yield to temptation. When we allow temptation to join the sinful
          desires within the womb of our minds, it gives birth to sin.
           Fourth, sin results in death. It isn't the physical death, for none of us would be alive, nor is it the
           spiritual death, for no one could be saved. The fulfillment of lust brings a death-like existance
           in the believer's life.
     4.  Temptation flourishes on inconsistent thinking. (verse 16) Don't be deceived, led down the
           wrong path. Don't allow lust to blur your thinking so that you forsake the truth to follow a lie.

Every time we say yes to temptation, we make it harder to say no the next time. (Jerry Bridges)

All at once a secret, smouldering fire is kindled. The flesh burns and is in flames. It makes no difference whether it is sexual desire, or ambition, or vanity, or desire for revenge, or love of fame and power, or greed for money...Joy in God is in course of being extinguished in us and we seek all our joy in the creature. (Bonhoeffer)

LET IT GROW

This High Priest (Jesus) of ours understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do, yet He did not sin.  (Hebrews 4:15 NLT)

Jesus is our example of how to react whenever tempted by the devil-use God's Word. How was Jesus tempted? Luke 4:3-13 tells us:
1. Lust of the flesh-tempted with bread, for He had fasted 40 days in the wilderness.
2. Lust of the eyes-tempted with the kingdoms of Satan (envy). (Jesus created everything and
    controlled everything.)
3. Boastful pride of life-tempted to prove His power as the Son of God.

What Word of God did Jesus use to refute Satan?
1. Deut. 8:3:Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
2. Deut. 6:13:Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.
3. Deut. 6:16: Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Satan tempts us in the similar ways and my lusts tempt us in similar ways:
flesh-food, drinks, sex
eyes-clothes, cars, technology, money, things
pride-title, job, positions

The question is, "Do I want to resist temptations so I remain in fellowship with God?" Or do I want to yield and fulfill the lust of my flesh, eyes, and pride of life?
Do I know my weaknesses? Am I prepared with Scripture to send the temptation on its way without my sinning?

LET IT GO

Leave alone those things that would tempt me to sin.

Remove myself from those things or remove those things from me.

Slam the door on temptation in my mind.

Memorize more of the Word of God.

Ask for the Holy Spirit's help and God's wisdom.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment