Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Teenager's Face of Zits

514.  "A Teenager's Face of Zits"                   May 8, 2012
James 1-Part 10
But be ye doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.  James 1:22

LET IT GLOW

Verse 25 says, But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

How can I be blessed in my deeds?
  • Look at the perfect  law of liberty. Jesus came to fulfill the Law (Matt. 5;17). It says to love God and love our neighbors (Mark 12:29-31), and to love your neighbor as yourself (Gal. 5:14). Looketh refers to "one who would become acquainted with something; look carefully into"; doer is" one who obeys or fulfills the law, a performer"; work is "an act, deed, thing done"; blessed means "happy, well off, fortunate"; deed is "a doing or performing; in the obedience he renders to the law." So if I am becoming acquainted with God's Word, the New Covenant, and my heart is transformed by the Spirit, and I am a believer in Jesus and saved by His grace, then I am blessed in my deeds.   
  • Continue in freedom from sin. Jesus sets me free when I ask for and receive His forgiveness. I am free from the bondage of sin, free from Satan's captivity, not influenced by other doctrine, but established in faith, stand fast in it, abide in it, look to Christ as the author and finisher of my faith, keep my eye on it, and constantly attend to it. I am blessed in what I do, not for what I do. (Gill)
  • Do what the Word of truth says, not just hear what it says. Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free, Jesus said in John 8:32. Actions should become my lifestyle.
I will be blessed by God, prosperous and successful in all I do. God's blessings are rich both in spiritual and temporals.

LET IT GROW

I remember as a teenager, spending time in front of the mirror. I squeezed zits, blackheads, and whiteheads. I pampered my face. I tried to improve my face. I even put green and blue facials on it. But when it was all done, I had the same face-a teenager's face. Nothing seemed to help, so when I walked away from the mirror, I forgot about all that stuff and focused on something else that was previlent in my life. These scriptures seem to describe a person who forgets what they saw in the mirror-a hearer of the Word, not a doer. Wonder what's the difference? Read on, friend.

Doers of the Word of God continue being doers, become doers, views their obedience as a constant struggle. Their life changes because of what they read because they apply it to themselves.
Hearers merely soothe their conscience temporarily, deceiving themselves. They leave the mirror, go on their way, forgetting what they read.
Whoso looketh (parakyto in Greek), implies much more than a glance, for the word involves bending over for closer inspection. It pictures a person before a mirror noticing a blemish, then leaning forward to examine and attend to it.  (Falwell)

How closely do I look into the Word of God? Does my heart bend down in humility, with open ears, taking a closer look at what it has to say to me so I can apply it? Or do I quickly read it, then go on down the road of life, forgetting what I read? So many times it is the latter. Perhaps I should ask Jesus to speak to my heart through His Word before I read it. Sometimes I do invite Him to sit beside me while I type a lesson and speak to me and through me. Perhaps that isn't enough.

Change my heart, Lord, into what You want it to be. May the Words for today stick in my heart all day long.
Which am I-a hearer or a doer of the Word? Which does Jesus want me to be?

LET IT GO

Look closer into the Word of God.

Let it change my heart.

Apply it in my life.

Bless my deeds as I work with You and You work in me, Lord Jesus.







In the key verse above, James doesn't say just "be doers." God isn't looking for activeists who don't know His Word. Nor is He interested in hearers who know His Word but do nothing. The Greek term for hearers refers to someone who audits a course at a university-someone who listens carefully and takes notes, but has no assignments, tests, or responsibilities. someone who merely takes in information. Those who simply audit the faith are deceiving themselves about their Christianity, and that sincere believers will prove their authenticity by applying what they hear. (Swindoll)

Unlike the mirror, which only reflects outward appearance, the Scriptures reveal our inner character. This hearer forgets what both reflect; while the effectual doer, gives careful attention to the Scriptures, responds positively, applies what is heard and is genuinely fulfilled. As an effectual doer, obeying the revealed Scriptures, I become a mirror reflecting real Christianity. The question is, "Do I?"

Am I walking the talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment