Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Who has the Reins?

515.  "Who has the Reins?                      May 9, 2012
James 1-Part 11
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
James 1:26-27


LET IT GLOW

One of my early childhood pleasant recollections is that of my riding Topsy. She was our horse we had when I was three years old. She was a good, tame young horse, to me, anyway. She would let me ride her, alone, while my brother or sister led her calmly and slowly around the yard. But let one of them get on her, and away she'd go, down the road as fast as she could.

Before anyone could ride her, someone had to catch Topsy and put the bridle on her. That someone was usually my brother. I recall one time he chased her all the way to the back forty corner fence before getting the bridle on her, then rode bareback to us. Without the bridle, there was no controlling that horse. With the bit in her mouth, a small bar connected to the harness, and the reins, we could turn her left or right or make her stop. I am like that horse-stubborn, wild, out of control. Today I was convicted with the studying of these two verses.

Am I giving God the reins of my life or do I continue to take control of it, going where ever I want? Do I give Him control of my tongue, as a bit in the horse's mouth? Will I let God control when I stop talking and where I go by His pulling on the reins of my life? Do I quickly obey His commands? Will I let go and allow Him to lead me where He wants me to go, faithfully walking beside Him? Do I graze in God's grace when He lets me relax and feed on His Word?  Or am I like a wild, rebellious, untamed horse that defies having the bits and bridle on, controlled by my God? Things to ponder hard.
Friends, I have felt convicted by the words of this lesson. I only thought I was submitting to God's reins and bridle, but was only deceiving myself. My words were my words; my life was my life. After repenting, I'll share what I learned.

We are still reading about the effectual doer obeying God's Word. When I obey, I am a mirror reflecting real Christianity. What should I look like?
  • Quickly use an open ear to listen to what the Word of God says.
  • Be slow to speak
  • Have a calm spirit, not get angry at the drop of a hat.
  • Have a clean heart by putting away filthiness and wickedness.
  • Keep a humble attitude.
  • Not only hear the Word, but also do it, applying it in my life.
  • Endures or runs from temptation; slam the door to my thought rooms of my mind.
  • Asks God for wisdom in how to handle a trial or temptation.
  • Stay joyful during trials.
Then I will be blessed according to verse 25.


LET IT GROW

Read the two key verses again.
In MacArthur Bible Commentary, it says:
Religious, in verse 26, refers to ceremonial public worship (Acts 26:5). Instead of internal godlliness, James emphasized the external trappings, rituals, routines, and forms that were not followed sincerely. Bridle means "control" or "keep a tight rein." Purity of heart is often revealed by controlled and proper speech (Matt. 12:36). James picks two synonymous adjectives to define the most spotless kind of religious faith-that which is measured by compassionate love.

James tells me what I am supposed to be doing if I want my religion to be pure and undefiled before God:
  • Control my tongue. Remember that I will some day give an account for all my words said. If they were put on a video screen, would I want everyone to see it? "An uncontrolled tongue is a spiritual problem," says Liberty Bible Commentary.
  • Visit the fatherless (orphans) and widows in their afflictions. These are without parents and husbands. Not only am I to see them and speak words of comfort, but I am to help meet their needs. Caring for them shows Christian love.
  • Keep myself unspotted from the world, the evil world system. Strive to stay free from the evil influences in my culture that would altar my values and pursuits. (Baker) (1John 2:15-16) Watch out for their ungldliness and lusts.
Guzik says,"Your walk with God is usless if it does not translate into the way you live and the way you treat others."

LET IT GO

Pass the reins of my life and my tongue over to God so He can control them.

Use my thoughts, words, and actions so they are honoring my Savior, Jesus.

Be open to helping widows and orphans.

Avoid world things.

No comments:

Post a Comment