Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teachers

521.  "Teachers"                     May 17, 2012
James 3-Part 1
Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. 
 James 3:1-2 NLT

LET IT GLOW

What a joy it has been to teach children, not only the Word of God, but worldly information, how to read, write, and do arithmetic. Now most of those children have grown up, some graduated from school, some in college, some in the work force, some married with their own family. How fast time marches on! My first class to teach is now around the age of 34, the same as my son. I was reminded that last week when I saw pictures of some of my second graders in the newspaper, graduating from high school. I wonder about all those I taught in Christians schools, what their life is like now. Did I have a good influence on them? Did they take to heart what I taught in Bible class? Is it helping them with life?
Then I wonder about all those children I have taught Sunday School lessons and Bible studies at children and youth camps. Did my words make a difference in their lives? Only God knows the answer. Maybe in heaven I will get an update on all my children under my teachings.
Teachers' words are important and influencial.

In Jesus' day, He wasn't the first person to teach the Scriptures, the scribes did also. However, the teachings of the scribes was meanless, dry theological speculation, but Jesus taught them as the living words of God. The Father gave Jesus a full measure of His wisdom and His authority (Mark 1:22).
Isn't there a difference between religious words and a word directly from the Lord? Whenever you teach, counsel, or share a word of encouragement, be very careful that the words you share are indeed from the Lord and are not just your own thinking. You don't want to be a false prophet (Deut. 18:20-22).
 [Reference: Experienceing God Day-By-Day by Henry and Richard Blackaby]

I ask the Lord to fill my mouth with His words before I begin writing. It's my desire for Jesus to minister to hearts of readers through this blog.


LET IT GROW

What about teachers in church?
  • They should take your responsibility seriously.
  • They are held to a greater  accountability
  • They shall receive a stricter judgment.
  • They have a handle on their tongue.
  • Their life is one that shows they practice what they preach/teach.
  • They seek the Lord's wisdom and guidance.
The Rabbi teachers of Jesus' day loved the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places (Matt. 23:6-8). Jesus was speaking particularly of the Pharisees. He was thinking of the sin of love of position, where such a position puts a person in a place of influence that gives him the power to manipulate Scripture as well as people. The Pharisees wanted to advance their own personal prestige.
[Reference: James and First and Second Peter by William Baker]

I am responsible for teaching God's truth, not my own opinion. We all stumble in many areas. None of us has reached perfection, but should be striving for it. That's when we honor our Lord Jesus.

Our next lesson speaks about the tongue, so come back tomorrow. I am definite need in this area.

LET IT GO

Practice what I teach.

Apply what I learn.

Get control of my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment