Monday, May 21, 2012

Taming Wild Kittens and Tongues

523.  "Taming Wild Kittens and Tongues"      May 21, 2012
James 3-Part 3
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. James 3:8

LET IT GLOW

I have always had a love for cats. During my childhood, cats were always on our farm. Perhaps it was because they kept down the mice population around the barn and chickenhouses where feed was stored.
Most of my cats were a muckeldedum gray. (One of Dad's favorite adjectives, which I don't know what it means.) Since old Tom was a lifetime resident, and we always had females around, too, there were many kittens. In case  you don't know, kittens are not born tame, but wild. It was easier to tame them while they were young. It takes a lot of patience, time, and milk to tame wild kittens. They would hiss at me when approached, scratch me when picked up, and even bite it they felt in danger or had a mind to do so. But there wasn't a cat on our farm that I didn't try to tame, anyway. Most of the time I was successful. After taming the kittens, I would often dressing them up in my doll's clothes. They were my babies. after reading the scriptures, I realized my tongue is like those kittens, untamed, wild, and out of control.
Friends, don't leave me now, I need to know I'm not alone on this walk through the Word about the tongue. Yes, I am certainly in need on this topic. Let's walk on.

James has previously used the illustrations of horses and ships, and now the third one is fire. I understand that the tongue is a small part of the body. A strong horse can be controlled by a small bit and a huge ship can be controlled by a small rudder.

In verse 5, James says that a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. He says that a tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting my entire body. It can set my whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. (NLT)

(Please stay with me, I know this is not encouraging.)
What is learned about the tongue in these verses?
  • It is like a fire. The tongue is in comparison to a match in size, but its effect is like a raging forest fire. (Falwell)
  • It is a small member of the bodythat is powerful. Even though the small tongue boasts, it is still a little spark that can burn a whole forest, thousands of acres, down.
  • It is a world of iniquity, which means unrighteousness. The whole world of evil finds its expression through the tongue. Boastful pride, destructive anger, cutting bitterness, flattering lust-the tongue communicates them all (Swindoll)
  • It can defile the whole body. It spreads throughtout the body like a devouring cancer.
  • It can set on fire the course of nature, which refers to the pattern of history. A sharp tongue may instigate war or peace, or prevent an election.
  • It is set on fire of  hell (geenna in Greek), which originally referred to the Valley of Hinnom, south and west of Jerusalem, where a perpetual fire blazed on its garbage heaps. It became a symbol of the eternal abode of the lost. (Falwell)
  • It cannot be tamed. All kinds of animals, lions (Clarence the Crossed Lion), bears (Gentle Ben), porpoises (Flipper), and whales (Shamu), horses (Mr. Ed), cockatoos (on Baretta) have been tamed and even do tricks. The circus profession and others have made money by showing off tamed, wild animals taught to perform stunts. Still, we don't tame our tongue. 
  • It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. (NLT) Like the forked tongue of a venimous snake, we can strike and poison those around us.An example is Hitler baring his fangs into Christianity and God's chosen people, the Israelites. Millions were killed by poison gas. Whispers and gossips threaten friendships, reputations, and the work of the church.
LET IT GROW

What can I do with this uncontrollable tongue?
Galatians 5:16 says, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
1 John 3:18 says, Love not with tongue but in deed and truth.
1 Peter 3:10 says, Refrain the tongue from evil.
Colosssians 3:17 says, Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Walking by the Spirit is a decision of faith in the Spirit's power, always available to us if we will simply ask in faith for it. (Blake)

God is perfect. He alone can control our tongue. Our deep need is to be possessed by Him so that He can forgive all of our sin and enable us by the power of the Holy Spirit to control our tongue and our total being. (Preacher's Commentary)


LET IT GO

 As much as possible, refrain my tongue.

Surrender to the Holy Spirit's control.

Keep "thanks" on my tongue; thank the Lord for all things and in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment