Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Still Good Friends

519.  "Still Good Friends"                        May 15, 2012
James-Part 4
Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.  James 2:21-23


LET IT GLOW

I have a childhood friend that lived just down the road less than a mile. During the summer months, we would ride our bikes together, meet at the creek and swim together, and play together, and celebrate our birthdays together. After high school, we went our seperate ways. But fate brought us back together again. She and her husband bought a farm only 12 miles away from me. We attend the same church. We are still good friends, even though forty years have passed. Then I wonder, how does God consider our friendship?


Did you notice that in verse 23, Abraham was called the "Friend of God?"  In 2 Chronicles 20:7, he is called God's friend forever. In Isaiah 41:8 the Lord calls Abraham "my friend." Abraham is called the Friend of God because of his obedience. (MacArthur)

In John 15:14, Jesus said, Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

How badly do I want Jesus to call me "His Friend?" Is that desire so strong that I am willing to suffer for the "cause of Christ?" Do I strive to obey His Word? Those questions cut to the core, don't they?

LET IT GROW

The word justify has two meanings:
 (1) vindication (true, correct) of the reality of something,
 (2) to acquit or justify leagally.

James' use (#1) of this word is probably different than Paul's use (#2) of the word. Before anything happens, Abraham believes what God is telling him as truth. Paul refers to Genesis 15, Romans 1-7, Galatians 3:11.

Genesis 15:6 says, And he (Abraham) believed in the LORD; and he (God) counted it to him (Abraham) for righteousness.

In this chapter, The Lord spoke to Abram in a vision, telling him that Abram would have an heir, and that his seed would be as numerous as the stars. Abram believed what the Lord told him to be true, so it was counted as righteousness for him.

James' example of Abraham in our key verses refer to Genesis 22 when God tests Abraham's faith by telling him to sacrifice his son Isaac on an altar as a burnt offering. As it turned out, Abraham obeyed- in his heart was ready to kill Isaac when the Lord stopped Abraham and provided a ram in the son's place. This was a  proof of Abraham's faith, the legal pronouncement based on faith. Paul and James don't contradict each other, but have different points.

Abraham's faith originated either when God first appeared to him to call him out of his homeland (Gen. 12:1-4).
[Resource: James and First and Second Peter, Faith, Suffering, and Knowledge by William Baker]

How strong is my faith? Am I willing to move when God says for me to go? Am I willing to sacrifice my family, leave them behind in order to follow God's will?

Righteousness is the condition acceptable to God (Thayer's Concordance)

Abraham's faith was evident when he went so far as to offer Isaac as a burnt offering, almost killing him. His fame resulted from works.
Romans 4:20-24 says that not only was Abraham's faith imputed unto him as righteousness, but ours is also if we believe on God that raised Jesus from the dead, for our justification He was delivered for our offences.

How strong is my faith? Can I say, "Whatever Lord You deam best and for Your glory?"

LET IT GO

Search my heart O Lord and tell me what I need to let go of so my faith is imputed as righteousness,
so my faith is evident to others, so You are glorified with my life, so I am called a friend of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment