Monday, May 2, 2011

Chosen Sunflowers

1 Thessalonians 1-Part 3
Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. 1 Thess. 1:4


LET IT GLOW

The display caught my eye as I walked passed. I had to stop and look closer. Sitting there on the rack were  packages of beautiful flowers and lucious vegetables seeds. Yes, it was spring and time to plant a few flowers. So I bought a half dozen packs of seeds. My top choice was sunflowers. They were  fast growing, attracked bees and birds, and were just pretty to look at. So before the week-long rains came, my three year old granddaughter and I got on our knees, dug up the usual spot in the dirt, and dropped the seeds into the dirt. By now, the plants have raised their little green heads, growing taller each day. (Maybe they're called sunflowers because they grow toward the sun.) Soon they will be tall, bright yellow flowers with golden centers.

In verse 4, Paul used the word election. You know I had to look it up.The Greek word for election is ekloge, which means "chosen."

Liberty Bible Commentary states:
A less vague translation here would be, "We know, brethren beloved by god, that He has chosen you." the fact of election cannot be known until after a person has been saved. Paul explains how he was able to recognize it in the Thessalonians: it was their positive response to the gospel.

The first-centruy Christians did not hide their Christianity or try to live in isolation from one another. Instead, they worked together to incarnate their fith in a disbelieving, antagonistic world. Notice that they could do this because they knew that they were no longer under God's wrath but were now "beloved by God," chosen by Him for salvation. (Contagious Christianity by C. Swindoll)

Wow! To think that the God, who created this universe and everything in it, chose me to be His child. It's astounding! He prepared a way for me to be reconciled to Him, through Jesus, before I was born. Then He
spoke to my heart showing me my need for salvation through faith in Jesus. Not only that, it was all free to me, a free gift. What a loving Savior, to die on the cross in my place so I don't have to pay for my sins. He already did it. That's why I worship Him.
My friend, we are the beloved by God, chosen by Him for salvation. Have you accepted this free gift?
Just as I chose sunflowers to plant, God chose me to be His child. Hey, I'm a "chosen SONflower." Sunflowers  grow in the sun, and are attractive, so  I want to grow in the "Son" and be attractive to the lost, bringing them to Jesus.
Is my faith and obedience in Jesus growing?

Ephesians 1:4-5says, "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy, and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."




LET IT GROW

Verse 5 says, "For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake."

The slavation of the Thessalonian believers occurred due to the gospel being presented:
not only in word, but in power, in the Holy Spirit, and with full conviction. Paul and his companions brought the good news of Jesus to these people with a firm belief that it was true (Acts 17:1-3).

The gospel wasn't in words only, human words, but the words contained mysterious power. Where did this power come form? It came from the Holy Spirit of God. It was the power which changed lives.
(1 Cor. 2:3-4)

When I present the gospel, it should be done under the leadership and direction of the Holy Spirit.


LET IT GO

Always be grateful to God that He chose me to be His child, then act like it.

Yield to the Holy Spirit when presenting the gospel.

Allow His Word to grow in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment