Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memories of Memorial Days

Memories of Memorial Days

I sit here ashamed. Today has come and gone. This is the first Memorial Day that I did not have new flowers on my parents' graves. I know I deserve to be repromanded, Mom. Yes, you taught me better than that. My childhood Memorial Days were spent going to my grandparents' and an uncle's graves to take flowers. Sometimes they were roses from Mom's garden, sometimes plastic ones.  It does not mean I love my parents any less than yesterday. It means I was focused on "me" today. For that I am sorry. I should have jumped up, put on my shoes, and ridden with my brother to the graveyard without flowers, but I didn't. I was busy with something else.

Yesterday...

How many men and women have given their lives in serving this country, in providing for our safety and freedom? How many wars have there been in which our citizens faught? My daughter is a history buff, so I should have asked her.

I think of the nameless young man who gave his life, resulting in my brother and me, children and grandchildren, nephen and neices being here, alive. You see, it was during WWII. Dad's infantry was marching into a town in France. His friend got in front of Dad instead of behind him in line. A sniper shot and killed that young man as he went around the corner of a building. It should have been Dad who took the bullet. But it wasn't. So to that soldier, I owe "thanks." Yet a simple thanks is really not enough. That was 67 years ago.

How many tears have been cried because wives, children,  mothers and fathers, and other relatives had a loved one who did not return home alive from home and foreign? We could go all the way back to 9/11, the Revolutionay War for America and the Old Testament for Israel. How many prayers were answered and unanswered?

Okay, enough of a downer. What good comes out of these wars? Does faith in our Lord Jesus grow stronger? Do families stay closer? Does the word "sacrifice" take on a new meaning? Can we see the hand of God in circumstances? I wonder, how long must the good fight against the evil ones go on? Until Jesus comes back.

I WILL take flowers. It won't be tomorrow because I have a dr.'s appointment.

Jesus was another person who gave his life for others. It was in a battle between self and Satan.
So I can say, I am so very grateful for Jesus and others down through history who died for me. There is a difference-Jesus came back to life. He's not in a grave like the others.

Am I willing to give my life for someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment