Monday, May 16, 2011

Measuring Cups

1 Thessalonians 2-Part 8
Who (Jews) both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out; they are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles that they might be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.  1 Thess. 2: 15-16 NAS
LET IT GLOW

How important are measuring cups? They are very important to me because I use them everyday. I fill them up with various things while baking and cooking. When I look in my kitchen cabinet, I see various measuring cups. There is a large one, 2 quarts, a medium one, 2 cups, and a small one, 1 cup. Some are made of  plastic and some are made of glass.  Actually, they are very needful. Food would not taste right if I didn't use my measuring cups. My cakes and cookies would not be editible either.Well, wouldn't you know it, the other day,  my 2 cup glass measuring cup fell off the shelf when I was pulling out some bowls. It landed in the floor and broke. So I had to stop what I was in the middle of cooking and clean up the mess. I was my mother's cup, so it made me sad that it happened. She used that cup for many years in her kitchen making jellies, candies, and yumjy meals. It was used in mine for  13 years. Oh well, I'll have to replace it with a new one. It was only a measuring cup. Can a measuring cup have value to a person? Supose, that one did. I'll have to be more careful from now on.

Paul said in our verse that the Jews filled up the measure of their sins. Now what does that mean? The Jews were outraged that Gentiles could be saved without first becoming Jews. This exclusive attitude filled up the measure of their sins.

"God has set limits to the sins that can be committed against each one of us. And once those limitations are met, divine discipline and judgment are carried out against those who are striking at us. The sovereign Lord always has things under control, even when we have a difficut time seeing that. This should give us, as His followers, a sense of peace," said Charles Swindoll in his book Contagious Christianity.

I am comforted to read that. Had you thought about there being a limit to the amount of harsh treatment against us? When the cup is full, then it stops. Is that how it works? God knows how much we can take, handle, or bear (1 Cor. 10:13). It's His strength that sustains me through it anyway. Do you have any thoughts to add?

LET IT GROW


Jumping back up to verse 15 now. Paul mentions what the Jews had done:
killed their own prophets, persecuted him an the missionary team, forbid them to speak to Gentiles about salvation in Jesus. Paul even mentioned that it did not please God. Their hinderance of the Gospel being preached to the Gentiles was the last measure added to their continually accumulating iniquity, which made them ripe for vengence.
Already in A.D. 48, a tumult had occurred at the Passover in Jerusalem, when about 30,000 were slain; a foretaste of the whole vengence which speedily followed (Luke 19:43-44, Luke 21:24).
[ Reference: Jamison, Fausset, Brown Commentary]

Oswald Chambers said, "The only things that will enable me to enjoy adversity is the acute sense of eagerness of allowing the life of the Son of God to evidence Itself in me."

Jesus foretold things to come. Am I ready for adversity and persecution?  Psalm 62 talks about God being our refuge, rock, defence, strength. Verse 8 tells us to trust in Him at all times. Other scriptures are:
Ps. 103:1-2, 108:1, 109:30, 124:6a.


LET IT GO

Remember that God puts a limitation on persecution when the cup is full, it stops.

Linda, trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not onto your  own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path. (Prov. 3:5-6)

When I'm going through adversity, let others see Jesus in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment