Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Paths Leading Back

1 Thessalonians 3-Part 5
Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you. And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as wwe do toward you.         1 Thess. 3:11-12


LET IT GLOW

One of the hardest things I have had to do in my life was move to West Virginia. Oh, I had nothing against the state. It has lovely people and  beautiful mountains.  Its just that it was a 12 hour drive away from our family, kids and mothers. The Lord directed my husband to take a new pastorit in that state. It wasn't because of anything about the state, city, or church  that made it a difficult move. It was the circumstances in our family that made it so hard. You see, our son had just graduated high school 4 months earlier, took his first  job 6 hours from us. Our daughter only had one more year in college left and was getting married then. (empty nest) If that wasn't hard enough, to top it off, back home my mother inlaw had cancer and my mother had her physical problems. Needless to say, I cried all the wayto W>V. in the U-Haul, but not turning back. That was one of those situations where we had to die to self and and follow Jesus. We kept praying that God would direct our path back to northwest Arkansas, where our hearts were. (John Denver's song was changed to "Country roads take me home to the place I belong-northwest Ark.")
Its been almost 14 years since we followed the Lord on that path as we moved to northwest Arkansas. We were able to spend the last few months with both of our mothers before they passed on. Our children went on with their lives. We've been serving the Lord at the same church all these years. The Lord has blessed. Maybe we were like Abraham and proved we would follow Him where He led.

I said all that to show that God answers prayers. Sometimes He does direct His people back to where they once were and sometimes not. (We had been away from our hometown 17 years.) Paul had written such a prayer in our key verses. According to my map of Paul's missionary journeys, this prayer was answered and he was able to go back to Thessalonica.

Where are my paths leading me? Do I pray that God would direct my paths? Do they lead me back to Him? It is a straight and narrow path, difficult to stay on and I stray so often. Do I follow Him on the path He has for me to walk?

Psalm 25:4-5 NLT says, Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by Your truth and teach me, for You are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in You."

Psalm 27:11 NLT says, "Teach me how to live, O Lord, Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me."


LET IT GROW

What were the other two things Paul prayed? He asked the Lord to cause these Christians to increase and abound in love for one another and for all men. Only God, who is love, can cause an unselfish love to increase in people's lives. Not only was their love to overflow to other Christians, but also to non-Christians. Their love was to be boundless.

Contagious Christianity,by Charles Swindoll, gives us some food for thought concerning love:
L-Listen. We respect and accept people enough to graciously hear what they have to say.
O-Overlook. We are quick to pass over and forgive the minor, unpleasant flaws in others.
V-Value. We demonstrate toward others a sense of respect and honor that clearly overshadows whatever
                critical comments we may find necessary to make.
E-Express. Love is demonstrative! We don't just feel love or say loving things, but we manifest our love by
                    doing what is in the best interest of others.

I need to put into practice listening, overlooking, valuing people, and expressing love.


LET IT GO

Allow God to direct my path and stay on it.

Love God and love others.

Show His love to believers and nonbelievers.

No comments:

Post a Comment