Thursday, May 12, 2011

Welcome

1 Thessalonians 2-Part 6
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, whhich effectually worketh also in you that believe.   1 Thess. 2:13


LET IT GLOW

There is a wreath hanging by the outside door to my house. It says "welcome" on it. I put it there to reassure  people that they are  welcome in our home. I'm always glad to have a visitor come. (They are rare, since we live in the country, away from town.) That's why they are greeted with friendly words and a smile. Usually, a visitor is a friend coming for a planned visit, a welcomed guest. Sometimes strangers come to my door, but not very often. I really had not thought about the word, so I looked up the meaning, of course. You know me.

According to Webster's Dictionary, welcome means gladly received or permitted; a kindly, warm greeting; a hospitable reception; to receive gladly.

Did the Thessalonians welcome the Word of God ?  How did they receive the Word of God? There are two meanings that could apply to what Paul meant in describing their receiving the Word. (It's used twice in this verse.)
Liberty Bible Commentary explains:
1. Paralambano is a word which means to "take to oneself." In this context it means to listen to and apply
    the words that were spoken. It could have been used of the teaching of any phlilosopher of the day.
2. Dechomai is a word which means primarily "to receive" in the sense of receiving a guest, entertaining
    someone, or welcoming with open arms a true friend; this word involves much more commitment. This is
    the word that shows the responsive attitude of all true believers for God's Word.

So the Thessalonians received the Word of God to themselves, resulting in salvation in Jesus. Also, they welcomed it with open arms like I welcome a friend at my door with open arms. Do I welcome God's Word like an old friend, with open arms? How's my attitude? Do I gladly receive it, no matter what it has to say to me?


 LET IT GROW

Still in verse 13, Paul says it was the Word of God, not the word of men (them), that worked in their hearts.
How did It work? He uses the word effectually to describe how God's Word worked in the Thessalonians.

The Greek word , energeo, means simply to be "effective." The same word is found in the same connection in Galatians 3:2, 5 and it is the Spirit of God in both passages who causes believers to recognize the Word of God. Though it wasn't the New Testament the Thessalonians heard, it was the oral message, inspired and just as authoritative. It was a word spoken by God so that this verse is, in effect, parallel to 2 Timothy 3:16.
(Liberty Bible Commentary)

"The Bible is a map pointing us in God's way," said Chuck Swindoll.

Am I allowing Gopd's Word to be effective in my life? Am I applying it, not just reading it?


LET IT GO

Receive God's Word, as I do a welcomed guest, into my heart.

Let the Word be effective in my life, changing my attitudes and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment