Monday, May 23, 2011

Down with a Frown or Up with a Mile Smile

                                                    

1 Thessalonaians 3-Part 4
For what thanks we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God; Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?  1 Thess. 3:9-10


LET IT GLOW

I have noticed lately that as I walk through the stores shopping, there aren't many people smiling. Strangers used to speak a few words or comments, others smile at you. Where has it gone? Has our joy in life, smiles, nods, friendly hellos gone for good? The other day while in a store, I smiled at a stranger. Her response was a quick smile, not too sincere, just polite. I hope I encouraged her. Perhaps she was having a difficult time in her life. Am I getting frown lines on my face? Do I not use those muscles any more?
 I even remember years ago, while driving on my way to bigger towns, drivers were always waving to each other when they passed. Not any more. Seldom does this happen to me. Maybe that's why I have stopped this friendly gesture. Maybe people are bogged down with problems and burdens, having their mind preoccupied with them. Perhaps if I start waving, it will continue on. Don't be suspecious, just friendly.

Again, Paul expresses his gratitude for the joy the Thessalonians have brought into his life. It helped him through his rough times.

"Paul did not let his own circumstances dictate what his attitude toward life would be. Instead, he counted the blessings God had granted him through his association with the Thessalonians. As a result, he faced life with a smile rather than a frown," stated Charles Swindoll in his book, Contagious Christianity.

Do I let my circumstances get me down with a frown? Do I have a smile on my face a mile long, so to speak? Is it sincere, from joy in the heart or just a quick friendly gessture? Meeting someone with a smile seems to lift me up, so my smile may do the same. A mile smile. I'm going to try it today. How about you?


LET IT GROW

What did Paul and his companions say they did night and day, in verse 10? They prayed exceedingly.

Exceedingly means abundantly above, beyond measure, very highly, according to Thayer's Dictionary.

So the missionary team prayed extra, earnestly, beyond their duty,  for these Christians. One regular request was for them to see these believers again. Another request was to have an opportunity to complete what was lacking in their faith.
The Greek term rendered complete carries the idea "to restore a fellow Christian who has wandered."
(Swindoll)

Help and assistance was needed as the Thessalonians went through persecution. The missionary team prayed for an opportunity to strengthen and deepen the faith of these believers.
How serious am I about prayer? Do I start my day with prayer? Do I permeate my day with prayer? Do I end my day with prayer? Do I take time to interceed for others struggling. No time spent praying is wasted time. We touch the heart of the controller of the universe with our faith and love for the brethren. He will bend down and listen.


LET IT GO

Smile, smile, smile.

Show the joy of Jesus.

Pray exceedingly for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment