Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dear Friends

1 Thessalonians 2-Part 4
So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of 'God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.  1 Thess. 2:8


LET IT GLOW

Do you have any "dear friends?" We have some dear friends that we made throughout the years in the ministry. However, some of them live in other states or hours away. So it is a sweet time when we do get together, which is not very often. We  keep in touch by way of email, phone calls, and Christmas cards. Do we let our dear friends know how much we value their friendship? Do you have any  friends to you?

Paul considered the believers at Thessalonica as "dear to us." Though it had been a while since Paul had seen these special people, his new converts, he took time to write this letter to them. Of course, God was inspiring him with the words.

You have become my new dear friends. Some of you have written comments to me, while others read and stay silent friends, listening to me. I ask the Lord to bless you today, my dear friends in Christ, for you are a blessing to me. Thank you for walking with me on this country road of faith, sweet ones. You are an encouragement to me.


LET IT GROW

How did Paul and the missionary team behave toward the believers, Christians, new converts at Thessalonica? He tells us in verse 10: holily, justly, and unblameably.  I looked up the these three words in other versions of the Bible. Here are the words they used:

New Living Translation-devout, honest, faultless
New American Standard-devoutly, uprightly, blamelessly
New International Version-holy, righteous, blameless
Williams-pure, upright, irreproachable motives

These words decribe the conduct of the missionary team and Paul. It sounds like Paul is defending himself and his companions in the Lord's work against any false accusations. He calls on god and the Thessalonians as their witness.

How do I behave toward other believers? Is my conduct holy, devout, godly? Is my conduct just, honest, upright, righteous? Is my conduct blameless, faultless? Does God reuqire any less of us than what Paul was?


LET IT GO

Be a dear friend.

Let my dear friends know they are dear friends.

Watch my conduct so it is holy, honest, and blameless.

No comments:

Post a Comment