Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faithful Friends

1 Thessalonians 4-Part 1
Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that, as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you may excel still more. For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.  1 Thess. 4:1-2  NAS


LET IT GLOW

Do you have someone who encourages you? I'm talking about the person who inspires you to keep on keepin' on with Jesus, to be faithful to Him, trusting Him. We just visited with wonderful friends like that. We see their faithfulness to Jesus and feel their love for Him. Don't you love being with  folks like that? Probably, we wouldn't have to exchange narry a word because their love radiates and that's enough for me. I find encouragement from them as they take time to listen to my problems. I know their concern for me is genuine. I know they have been through many tests in their life, yet they have remained faithful believers. Now that's encouraging to me. (Am I like that to others?)

Here was Paul  asking (request, beseech) the Thessalonians to continue doin' what they're doin'. He is also encouraging (exhorting) them. It is by the Lord Jesus that he does this. What was the topic here? It was how they ought to walk, live their Christian life in this world, doing it in such a way as to please God. Is that my goal, pleasing God, or is it pleasing Linda and her flesh?
These two verbs are in the present tense in the Greek. Therefore, it is something to do now, not something I did yesterday or put off until tomorrow. These believers are already living according to Christian standards. Am I? Can people see the fruit of the Spirit in me as was mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23?

"Christianity is a way of life which characterizes all our activities and not just a few of the things we do," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

Another thing, Paul also says is to excell still more. Are we to be lazy or passive? He encourages the Thessalonaians and us to actively pursue personal obedience to the divine commands given in Scripture.
We are to commit ourselves to submit rather than ignore or revolt against God's standard of holiness (Rom. 6:16-18). (Contagious Christianity by Charles Swindoll)

According to Webster's Dictionary, excell means to be superior, surpass, outdo. It's an action verb, not an adjective.

What a challenge-excell still more in my Christian walk. Am I doing my best for Jesus? I heard Charles Stanley comment that he instructed his children while growing up, "Look your best, do your best, and be your best."
Do I go beyond the expected?
What more can I say? Homework to do here-cards to send, calls to make, visits to encourage others.


LET IT GROW

In looking at verse 2, Paul notes that the Thessalonians know the commandments these missionaries gave them. They were putting them into practice, too. I can only think of three ways to learn these instructions of Jesus-read the Word, hear the Word, and see others live the word. How much time do I give the Word in my life? does studying It have priority in my life, or does it get the left overs? Obeying a applying It comes next.


LET IT GO

In my Christian walk, excell still more.

Live to please God.

Study the Word more.

No comments:

Post a Comment