Friday, April 29, 2011

Is it Ya'll or You All?

1 Thessalonians 1-Part 2
We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and ou Father. 1 Thess. 1:2-3


LET IT GLOW

How are ya'll doin today?
One time, when I was a kid, my mom, brother, and I went on a vacation, which included stoppin' to yak with cousins in Arizona. Since we'd never seen 'um ' fore, they noticed that we was wearin' shoes. Now, I guess usins' Hillbillies have a reputation for not wearin' shoes, that I didn't no 'bout at the time. So my answer was "Yeah" but would have been "Duh" in modern terms. I 'spose they'd seen Little Abner, The Beverly Hillbillies, or visited Dog Patch USA (an amusement park with a hillbilly theme).

Ya'll know  I grew up on a chicken and cattle farm in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. We'uns go bare foot and sit on the front porch swing on a hot summer's evenin' talkin' 'bout the day. Neighbors stop and yak as they go down our road here. It's a place where the dogs and cats run free without a collar 'cause the neighbors know who owns 'um. Anyway, youns must know that I am excited. I found Paul sayin' YOU ALL in the Bible. Sho' 'nuff. I ain't joshin'. Now it ain't  spelled "ya'all" but it is there. (Did you hear my southern accent? It was a little exaggerated, 'caus youns no we don't talk that way here now, only in movies.) Just to let ya'll no, or is it you all, anyways, I nos the proper way to talk now, 'cause I'm educated with a college degree and all. Thought I'd throw that in.

In verse 2, Paul is saying "you all" but why? He is giving thanks for the believers in Thessalonica. Also, he and his companions prayed together frequently for the entire flock. Three of those prayers are offered in this letter. They are found in 1:2-3, 3:11-13, and 5:23-24. (John MacArthur)

Charles Swindoll, in his book, Contagious Christianity, said:
How easy and enjoyable it is to pray for people who give us reason to be grateful! They often prove to be accepting and affirming, real instead of phony, and supportive and giving rather than subversive and grabby. Just as the Thessalonians gave Paul reason to be thankful for them, we should also give others reason to be grateful for our presence in their lives.

Am I a person for which others pray? Are they grateful for me? Especially, my family should be glad I'm a part of them.

LET IT GROW

In verse 3, we see the threefold combination of faith, hope, and love, which is a Pauline favorite. He also uses it in 5:8, 1 Cor. 13:13, and Col. 1:4-5.( The MacArthur Bible Commentary)

Contagious Christianity says this:
Paul specified three things about the Thessalonian believers that caused him to regularly remember them in prayer. First was their "work of faith"-that is, their good works that flowed from their Christian faith, Second, was their "labor of love" or, put another way, their active toiling that was prompted by their love. And third was their "steadfastness of hope" their ability to persevere under the pressures of life because they had their hope fixed on the Lord Jesus Christ. (emphasis mine)

Do others see my work of faith, labor of love, and steadfastness of hope? Better yet, do they see that I have faith, love, and hope?


LET IT GO

Let others see my faith, love, and hope is in Jesus.

Pray for others giving thanks for them.

Lord, thank you for all who stop by on this blog. Please bless them today with increased faith, love, and hope from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment