Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Open Doors

Colossians 4-Part 2
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
Colossians 4:5


LET IT GLOW

I like springtime. The weather warms up so I can open the front door and see out. We have a glass outer door. I enjoy seeing the green grass covering the hills, trees getting their green leaves back, flowers and dandelions popping their heads up out of the earth, various colored birds singing in trees. This is especially enjoyable after experiencing a long winter of weeks with the ground covered in deep white snow. Sometimes I walk through the open door and sometimes I just look out of it. There are other doors that can be opened. Paul talks about one.

Paul asks the Colossians to pray for him and Timothy to have "a door for the Word." He wants an opportunity for preaching the Word of God, which would be best afforded by his release from prison.
Paul said in 1 Corinthians 16:9, "For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries."  
In 2 Corinthians 2:12, Paul said, Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ's gospel, and a door was opened unto me of the Lord."
Paul realizes that it is the Lord who opens this door of opportunity to speak about the mystery of Christ. We know he was faithful to those opportunities because servants of the King's household were saved as a result.

Am I looking for those open doors? Do I walk through them and share Christ with a lost soul when it is available in conversation?  Or do I just look at the door?


LET IT GROW

Looking at verses 5 and 6, David Guzik said,"Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside: the Christian life isn't only lived in the prayer closet. There also must be "shoe-leather Christianity," which lives wisely toward those who are outside. How we speak has a lot to do with this, so we must let our speech always be with grace. If only Christians could speak with grace as well as they seem to speak with gossip. Christians should seek answers in God's Word, and communicate those answers to those who are outside."

The way I walk is my behavior. I am to conduct myself wisely, prudent in behavior and discreet in conduct.
Redeeming the time refers to buying up the opportunity for one's self; making wise and sacred use of every opportunity; using the time to the best possible advantage. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Am I walking in wisdom toward those unsaved?


LET IT GO

Look for open doors to share Christ with the lost.

Let my behavior honor Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment