Friday, April 8, 2011

Seek and Set

Colossians 3-Part 1
If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.   Colossians 3:1-2


LET IT GLOW

Where is Christ? He is sitting on the right side, on the right hand of God. He is second in command, being on the right hand. He is interceeding for us to God the Father. He is our High Priest. It's His righteousness that clothes us so we can enter the throne room. Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty. The One who was, is, and is to come. We bow down and worship Him, King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Worthy is the Lamb to be worshipped.

LET IT GROW

When I think of the word set, I think of setting the table. Whether it was with china and silver or Melmac and stainless steel, mom had me to set the table when I was a kid. I learned the proper place for the fork is on the left of the plate, the knife then spoon go on the right side. Where do I set my affections? On things above or on things on the earth? It's a deliberate thing, to set something.

Set means the ability or competency to do a thing; seek means the desire, endeavor, enquire, to go about, according to the Greek Dictionary of the New Testament.
Since I am raised in new life with Christ, Paul tells me to keep on seeking spiritual things.
2 Corinthians 4:18 says, While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Seek those upward things-heavenly crowns with jewels, treasures of heaven where moths and rust don't corrupt and thieves don't steal (Matt. 6:20), and Christ, my Savior who is on the throne in His place of authority. Paul gives heavenly motives for earthly duties.
What are my desires? What do I go about seeking?

"Keep on thinking about and directing your mind toward heavenly things. We should seek everything in the light of eternity. The Christian must be heavenly-minded, not worrying about earthly things," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

Where do I set my affections?
Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible defines affection as to mind, think. It is the Greek word phroneo.

Now that is different from what I thought affection meant. Paul wasn't talking about the way I show love,
but what I think on. What my mind is dwelling on, I care about.

Joni Eareckson Tada, in her devotional book, Diamond in the Dust, said this:
We must set our hearts and minds on things above. In other words, things above are to capture our imaginations, emotions, thoughts, feelings, ideas, and on and on. When you consider that the first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart and mind, it follows naturally that we should set our hearts on things above "where Christ is seated at the right hand of God."
So live in the Spirit, walk in the Spirit, abide by the Spirit, pray in the Spirit, and you can't help but glean a real and deep longing for heavenly glories above.
What enriches your spirit? Filling your heart and mind with whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, or anything excellent or praiseworthy. What enriches your spirit? Accessing the means of grace through prayer, worship, the reading of God's Word, and fellowship. What enriches your spirit? Trusting and obeying your Lord.


 LET IT GO

Seek those things above, where Christ is.

Set my affections, thoughts, on Christ and heaven.

Let go of the world and fleshly lusts and let God's Spirit direct me.

No comments:

Post a Comment