Monday, April 18, 2011

Heartily Serving

Colossians 3-Part 7
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.  Colossians 3:23


LET IT GLOW

As a woman, I serve in many capacities. I serve my family at home, my company at work, others at church. Am I a faithful servant of the Lord wherever I am?

Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: (verse 22)
Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.  (verses 24-25)
Masters, give unto your servants, that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.  (4:1)

What is a servant?
A servant is a slave, bondman, man of servile condition. (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament)

Am I a servant?

Why do I serve?
Paul mentions three motivations for a service done with all my heart:
*for a reward (verse 24),
*sovereignty of the Lord, He's in control,
*wrongdoers will be repaid for wrong done (verse 25).

I think the main reason I serve is because I love my Lord and I love others.

How do I serve?
Verse 23 tells me to do my serving as though I am serving the Lord, not a person or others.

John Gill said, "Fear God who sees and knows all things that servants do when their masters are absent from them, and to whom they are accountable; a servant that fears God will make conscience of discharging his service faithfully, will not misspend his master's time, nor embezzle his goods, or waste his substance."

Paul uses the word "heartily" to describe our serving. Heartily means "of the source of conduct, as to be found in the state of the soul, its feelings, virtues, vices." (Thayer's Lexicon)

Literally, I am to werve out of the soul. Christians are to throw their souls into their work, and labor cheerfully and diligently. (Liberty Bible Commentary)


LET IT GROW

Where do I serve?
At home, church, work, everywhere.

Rick Warren, in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, said this:

God determines your greatness by how many people you serve, not how many people serve you.
How can you know if you have the heart of a servant? Jesus said,"You can tell what they are by what they do." Matthew 7:16 CEV

Warren said that real servants:
  • make themselves available to serve,
  • pay attention to needs,
  • do their best with what they have,
  • do every task with equal dedication,
  • are faithful to their ministry,
  • maintain a low profile.
We serve God by serving others.
Mark 10:43 (MSG) states, "Whoever wants to be great must become a servant."

Service starts in your mind. To be a servant, I must think like a servant.
Servants think:
  • more about others than about themselves, 
  • like stewards, not owners,
  • about their work, not what others are doing,
  • base their identity in Christ,
  • of ministry as an opportunity, not an obligation.

Which of these characteristics of real servants offers the greatest challenge to me? Am I usually more concerned about being served or finding ways to serve others? Do I have a heart for serving?


LET IT GO

However I serve, whatever I do, do it heartily with all my soul, as though I am serving Jesus.

Give it my all, doing my best, so it honors the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment