Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The New Me

Colossians 3-Part 4
And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against any one; just as the Lord forgave you so also should you. And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 
Colossians 3:12-15 NAS


LET IT GLOW

Last fall when I was visiting my daughter in Rhode Island, she showed me a new book she read. It was by Shari Braendel, called Good Girls don't have to Dress Bad. I was captivated by it and had to buy one when I returned home. After reading the book, I changed my winter wardrobe of browns and blacks, being a fall colored person, to bright yellows, hot pinks, deep purples, and Christmas reds. This is my new color scheme after the body analysis. I purchased new sweaters with those colors, but now that spring is here, I haven't a thing to wear (those colors, that is). My attire must change. Paul tells us how to clothe ourselves. He gives the attire of the new person, his spiritual wardrobe. Shall we check it out?

Yesterday we talked about the old nature and characteristics we are to get rid of. Today we see the new clothing of the Christian, the new me, which begins with personal attributes:

*Compassion-mercy in action; a heartfelt sympathy for the less fortunate

*Kindness-thoughtfulness of others; unselfishness, sweetness of disposition, gentleness, and graciousness;
                   an inner attitude

*Humility-an outward expression of the inner attitude; modesty, places self last and least

*Gentleness-meekness not weakness, but lowliness; delicate consideration for others; the opposite of
                      arrogance and self-assertion; pride has no place in the Christian's life

*Patience-long suffering under provocation; restraint which enables one to bear injury and insult without
                resorting to retaliation; accepts the wrong without complaint

*Bearing with one another-put up with things we dislike and get along with those who disagree

*Forgiving each other-always treats the offending party graciously; forgives and forgets
  Charizomai is the Greek word for forgiving and is built on the same root as the word grace and means to
   bestow favor unconditionally. We forgive unconditionally, without stipulations or requirements.
A quarrel is a cause of blame, a ground for complaint. Forgive as Christ forgave me.

I put this as the glow instead of grow, because a Christian's life should be glowing with these attributes. They should be prevelent in my life. Do I need a new spiritual wardrobe?


LET IT GROW

What is on top of all those things Paul mentioned previously? What is the outter garment?  Love, charity, is the basis and cloak of all the graces (1Cor.13:13). Love is the bond that binds the others together. Love completes us. Love is more important than anything else in the Christian life. It is the love of God expressed in His redemption for the Christian. This love must be put on "above all," for it is the identifying mark of the genuine believer.
The peace of Christ is to rule in my heart, thoughts, feelings, desires. It is to settle all questions, as an umpire.
"Let the peace of God be the umpire in your life," says David Guzik.

Then I am to be thankful. Thankful for everything and thankful in all situations. After all, it could be worse.
Thank God for what He is doing and will do. Be thankful. I can't be thankful enough. How about you? Are you working on the 1,000 things for which you are thankful? I'm only on number 106 and I started last month.
[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, Shepherd's Notes]


LET IT GO

Let go of those hurtful feelings and forgive.

Have and show compassion, humility, patience, forbearance, kindness, gentleness, forgiveness,  and love.

Submit to the Holy Spirit for these qualitites.

Enjoy the peace of Christ.

Be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment