Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Keep an Eye On

Colossians 4-Part 5 And say to Archippus, "Be sure to carry out the ministry the Lord gave you." HERE IS MY GREETINGS IN MY OWN HANDWRITING-Paul.
Remember my chains.
May God's grace be with you.
Colossians 4:17-18  NLT

LET IT GLOW

Paul's letter ends with a person touch. He signed the greeting in his hand. This means that someone else penned the epistle, which happened to be common in the first century and with Paul's letters. It might have been due to Paul's poor eyesight that prohibited his actually writing these letters. The authenticity came from his signature.
In verse 18, Paul gives the two final reminders:
1. "Remember my chains." Paul was asking the Colossians to remember and intercede for him in prayer.
2. Paul reminded the Colossians of God's grace. He ends his letter where he began it, with the principle of
    grace, that God supplies salvation freely, that He requires nothing but a trust in the work of His son, Jesus,
    and that grace sustains the Christian's life. If God's grace is with the Colossians, they need nothing else.
    [from Shepherd's Notes]

God's grace is a free gift that we don't deserve. We are saved by it through faith, not of works, so we can't boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9) How wonderful is this gift! Have you received it?

LET IT GROW

I like the way the King James Version says verse 17, "Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it."

Heed, according to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, means to look at, beware, perceive, regard.

Liberty Bible Commentary says it this way, "Take heed-keep an eye on. Archippus was called of the Lord, and most probably had some ministerial responsibility in the church at Colossae. Paul tells him to keep on filling to the full, discharge fully (his calling). This is a lifetime job. God does not discharge His servants."

This makes me think about my situation. I keep an eye on the cattle that are here on our farm. Even though most of them belong to our son and his wife, I still watch out for them. During the calfing season, I notice whenever a cow is down, or off in the corner alone. I've learned that this is a sign of her time to give birth is near, or she is currently in the process. This has been benificial since there have been times that the cows have needed help in delivery. Thus the newborn calf and mamma are saved.

Am I keeping an eye on my calling as a Christian to witness, read the Word, pray, teach God's Word, support my church, encourage believers?


LET IT GO

Be grateful for God's grace to me.

Stay faithful to my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment