Monday, August 2, 2010

Treasure Hunt

Luke 12

So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
Luke 12:21

LET IT GLOW

Do you recall a game called Treasure Hunt or Scavenger Hunt that we played
as a child? We were given clues to follow, looking for certain items on a list.
The grand prize (treasure) was found at the end. I was reminded of the game
when I read verse 34: For where your treasure is, there will your heart
be also.

Webster's Dictionary defines a treasure as anything prized highly; regarded
as precious; an accumulation of money or jewels.

Jesus is talking to His disciples in verses 22-40. In 33, He tells them,"Sell
that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a
treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither
moth corrupteth.

I think that of some people Jesus requires them to sell all and give to the poor
and follow Him, litterally, but of others it is a matter of attitude-sell out making
Jesus number one in their life, but not actually selling items.

If Jesus is my treasure, the One in whom I prize highly, regard as precious,
then my heart will be focused on Him, not on eartly things.

Where is my treasure? Wherever it is, my heart will be there also. If Jesus is
my treasure and  He is in heaven, so my heart will be on heavenly things,
such as grace, good works of obedience, praise, and faith  for Jesus. They
can't be stolen, decayed, or decreased in value in heaven, unlike here on earth.

LET IT GROW

In verse 13, a man wanted Jesus to speak to his brother so he'd divide the
inheritance with him. Instead of and answer, "Sure, where is he, I'll tell him,"
the man got a parable written in verses 16-21.

How many times does the rich fool in the parable use the word I ? Six times
if I counted right. (try to say that without using the word)  Did he have an I
problem? Apparently, this rich man is talking to himself, which happens quite
often to me. He was proud of how much harvest (fruits and goods) he had.
He thought his problem was not having enough storage (barns). The man was
going to tear down the barns he had and build bigger ones. His problem was
covetousness; he was wrapped up in the abundance of possessions. He was
greedy and trusting in his wealth.
The man's plan was to take it easy afterwards. God called him a fool and said
he would die that night and then who would enjoy his stuff.

He was rich in worldy goods, but not rich toward God, as verse 21 says.
Matthew Henry Commentary tells us:
The greatest error of all is to not care to be rich toward God-rich in faith,
good works, in fruits of righteousness, in grace, in spiritual gifts.

I want to be rich toward God in faith, works, righteousness, grace, spiritual
gifts.

LET IT GO

Keep Jesus as my treasure and my heart on heavenly things.
Be rich toward God.

No comments:

Post a Comment