Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Short People

Luke 19
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Luke 19:10

LET IT GLOW

What's it like being a short person? It's hard. Things I want at stores are usually
located on the top shelf; I sit up front because if someone sits or stands in front
of me, then I can't see the speaker or what's happening; I use a pillow while
driving so I can each the peddles. I thought teaching first and second graders
that people could find me, the teacher, in the classroom easily, but not so. This
is the way my life is, but the way God made me, so I have accepted it as His
will.  ( Maybe He will let me be at least five feet tall in heaven.)

You can see, I know how frustrated Zachaeus must have felt, not
being able to see above the crowd that day. The Bible describes him as being
"little in stature," but I don't think he was a "wee little man" as the children's
song goes.

The main thing is Zac didn't let this obstacle stop him from seeing Jesus. He
was determined that day. As a result, it occured. As he was walking, Jesus
stopped right below Zac in the tree, looked up, saw the need in his heart, and
invited himself to dinner. Well, he invited himself to  Zac's house anyway. No
excuses were made, no hesitancy.

"Zachaeus quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his house in great
excitement and joy. But the people were displeased. 'He has gone to be the
guest of a notorious sinner,' they grumbled." NLT

Was it the conversation in Zac's house or was it when he was in the tree that
he became a believer in Jesus? No matter, he did. As evidence of a changed
heart, Zac offered to give half of his goods to the poor, and restore people
four times the amount if he cheated anyone on his taxes. Zac was a tax
collector.

That's when Jesus stated that salvation had come to Zac's house and Jesus's
purpose was to seek and save that which was lost. (verse 10) One of His
children was found that day.

Jennifer Rothschild said in her book"Walking By Faith"
Jesus'gaze extended beyond Jerusalem's beauty and into the future. He knew
that within decades Jerusalem would lie in ruins-its beloved temple demolished,
its commerce destroyed, its citizens dead or dispersed. He saw the needless,
self-inflicted suffering of those who rebel against God's will-and He wept.
I think the same is true today. God looks into our hearts, sees the pain we have
inflicted on ourselves by resisting Him and His gracious will-and He weeps.
It would be difficult to trust our tears to One who never cried. But, "we do not
have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses"
(Heb.4:15). Knowing that Jesus wept ministers to our soul's deepest needs.

I shouldn't let things hinder me from coming to Jesus-things like schedule,
health, financial problems, family, etc.

LET IT GROW

Verse 41 says, "And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept
over  it."  The city was Jerusalem. The time was His triumphal entery into the
beloved city before His crucifixion. All was well, it seemed. (Matthew 21
gives a better description.)

Jesus didn't weep over Jerusalem because that was where He would be
rejected, condemned, and crucified.  The gospel was preached there and
salvation was offered there. If only Jesus had been recognized as
their Messiah, their peace and grace. Less than forty years later what Jesus
said in verses 42-44, would happen to Jerusalem, did happen. The Romans,
under the rule of Titus flattened the city.

Revelation 21 describes the great holy city, the new Jerusalem, which John
saw in his vision. Throughout the Old Testament, Jerusalem was God's special
city, where His Temple of worship was located. It is just as important to the
Jews today.

Do I weep over the spiritual condition of the people in my city, in my state, in
my nation? Jesus did and so should I.

LET IT GO

Show the fruit of salvation, loving people as Jesus did.
Weep over my city, state, and nation's spiritual conditions. Then pray for them
and take Jesus to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment