January 27, 2017
1 Chronicles 22-Part 2
LET IT GLOW
Few times do I remember having a heart-to-heart conversation with my father. It was my fault. One precious memory was when we sat together on the porch swing, talking about life. He had been through so much is just a short time, but was wise in words through experience. Today Dad would have been 95 if he had lived. Oh how I wish I had spent more time listening to him.
Solomon listened to his wise father, King David. Shall we see what words of a wise father he heard?
David gave a charge to the workmen, to Solomon, and to the leaders of Israel. Picking up verse 5, we read what King David told his son Solomon, apparently in private:
- David described Solomon as young and tender, but he probably was in his 20's or 30's at this time. (Holman says this was the first mention of Solomon would succeed David and build the Temple.)
- The house to be built for the LORD must be exceeding magnificent (above excellent; first-class, superior), of fame and of glory throughout all countries.
- David was gong to make preparations for the new Temple of God. David prepared abundantly before his death. (The Temple plans, materials, and spoils from the conquered nations were provided by David.)
- It was in his mind to build a house unto the name of the LORD my God, but the Word of the LORD came to David saying that he would not build it because I have shed much blood. (David was a warrior, conquering much land and enemies for Israel, thus killing.)
- He was told that he would have a son who would be a man of rest, rest from his enemies, and named Solomon. God would give peace and quiet unto Israel in his days.
- Solomon would build God a house for His name; they would be as son and father; God would establish Solomon's throne of his kingdom over Israel forever. (verse 10)
LET IT GROW
David's charge continued in verse 11:
- The LORD be with thee and prosper you Solomon; build His house. (This was Solomon's purpose.)
- Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God. (verse 12)
- Then he would proper if Solomon heeded to fulfill the statues and judgments which the LORD charged Moses concerning Israel.
- Be strong and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed. (Similar to God's charge to Joshua in 1:7.)
Are we honest with our children? Do we admit our mistakes which we made in our life and their consequences?
Some of the best gifts we can share with our children and grandchildren is that we pray for God's will to be accomplish in their lives, and specifically what we feel His purpose for them is.
Pray for them to surrender to that will of God, dear friends. Then pray the tempter will not distract them from doing it.
LET IT GO
Thank You Jesus for a wise and loving father.
My heart's desire is for God to use my children and grandchildren in His kingdom work.
What a blessing to have them serving Jesus in some form of ministry.
Pray for them as I wait to see what God is going to do.
Lord Jesus, give them a love for You, a hunger for Your Word, a thirsting for Your Spirit, and a love for others and Your church.