Thursday, November 19, 2015

When the Truth Leads to Suffering

O. T. #638  "When the Truth Leads to Suffering"
November 19, 2015
1 Samuel 22-Part 5
This was certainly not the first time I had consulted God for him!  1 Samuel 22:15 NLT 

LET IT GLOW

I have tried to always stand for the Truth in God's Word. There have been times that it cost me my job. It wasn't what the person wanted to hear. We are all sinners in need of a Savior-Jesus Christ. I cannot deny it. It is true. How someone reacts to it is not what I am accountable for, but whether I tell it is what I have to answer for one day. No matter the consequences. When the truth leads to suffering how do I react? Do I consider it a privilege to have suffered for the cause of Christ? The Lord has been faithful in providing for our family, even amidst the suffering. In today's story, a priest suffered for telling the truth.

In verse 13, we read Saul asking 4 whys of Ahimelech, the priest who consulted the Lord and then gave David food and a sword. The one which stand out is the question, "Why have you encouraged him to kill me, as he is trying to do this very day?" Saul is a mess. David never did any such thing. He is so paranoid. We know that David never did kill him. Later, we will read where Saul orders his guard to kill him (Saul) so the enemy would not have the glory of doing it.

What is Priest Ahimelech's defense to his accusations of King Saul?
  • Sir, is there any among all your servants as faithful as David, your son-in-law?
  • He the captain of your bodyguard and a highly honored member of your household!
  • This was certainly not the first time I consulted God for him!
  • May the king not accuse me and my family in this matter, For I knew nothing at all of any plot against you.
This man was telling the truth, but Saul was blinded by his sin of jealousy. Are we consulting God in our situation? Are we praying for our brothers and sisters in the faith to stand strong? Do we tell the truth when we are confronted with a situation in question? No matter the consequences?

LET IT GROW

In spite of his telling the truth, in spite of his doing the right thing, in spite of begging for his life and the life of his family, Ahimelech and his family were killed. Are we going to be found faithful to God and his servants until our death?

Also, the King ordered all the priests of the LORD because they were allies and conspirators of David; they knew he was running away from the king and didn't tell.

What happened? Saul's men refused to kill the LORD's priests. So, Saul told Doeg, the dog, I mean the Edomite, to kill them. He did, all 85 priests. Not only them, but Doeg went to Nob and killed the priests' families and their cattle, donkeys, sheep, and goats. Oh, man, how could someone be so evil? Then I look at Paris and understand that it has been happening throughout the ages.

This was the fulfillment of the promise in chapter 3, where Eli's family would be judged forever for their iniquity which his sons did in the house of God and Eli did nothing about it.

If it comes down to our denying knowing and believing in our God and Savior Jesus or be killed, what will be our answer? Will our faith be strong enough to witness to our assailant? Even if our family is killed too? That is some serious thinking to do. It may come to that one day. If not us, then our children or their children's children. The evil one is always trying to destroy our witness of the Almighty One and Only Savior, Jesus Christ.

However, there was one ...

LET IT GO

Though they slay me, yet will I praise Him!



No comments:

Post a Comment