Monday, November 2, 2015

One Step Away From Death

O. T. #626  "One Step Away From Death"
November 2, 2015
1 Samuel 20
...there is but a step between me and death.  1 Samuel 20:3c

LET IT GLOW

I have shared previously the time when I almost died after surgery back in 2001. Since then I have been hesitant in being put under for only tests. Last January, I again had surgery. Fear of a repeat kept my stomach in knots and my mind in captivity. Finally, I had to release my life to my Lord. His will to be my will. I trusted Him to bring me through my gall bladder surgery and He did just that! If He had taken me home to be with Him in heaven, that was okay, too. It is a sobering thing when one comes face to face with death-only one step away from death. David experienced the same thing many times and recognized it.

You will recall that while David was at Naioth, Saul sent messengers to capture David, three times. It was their failure do so that caused Saul to go. The Lord's Spirit came upon them all and they prophesied instead of killing David. So David flees and goes to Jonathan, his closest friend and now brother in law for help and advice. David is seeking his support system. Yet, what did Jon think of David, with his father's influence and all? Did Jonathan, the next in line to the throne, agree with Saul, that David was a threat to the king's throne and kingdom?

Looking at their encounter, we read where David is proclaiming his innocence for any justified reason that would cause Saul to want to kill him by asking:
  • What have I done?
  • What is my crime?
  • How have I wronged your father, that he is trying to take my life?
Although David was innocent, we are not innocent before our God. We have sinned, disobeying His commands. We deserve death and hell, but our Heavenly Father shows us mercy through His Son Jesus' sacrifice.

How does Jonathan react?
  • Jonathan denied that his father was intending to kill David, since Saul took such an oath before Jonathan (1 Sam. 19:6).  
  • After all, Jon's father doesn't do anything, great or small, without confiding in Jon.
  • Why would Saul hide this from Jon now?
  • Jon denies Dav's accusation of Saul was seeking to kill him.
It sounds like Jonathan did not know what Saul had been doing (sending messengers and going himself to Naioth to find David). That Saul did not tell Jonathan everything he planned must have surprised and convinced Jon that what David said was true.

Saul was bent on killing David. I read somewhere that David was on the run for his life 12 years. Aren't we blessed with the songs David wrote during this time in his life? Of course, we know what happens to Saul-he has his man kill him so the enemy does not get the glory for such a feat. David has opportunities to kill Saul, but does not because the king was God's anointed.

So we have discernment from the Lord to see the truth of our circumstances?

LET IT GROW

David reasons with Jonathan that Saul knows David has found favor in Jonathan's eyes. Saul wants to protect Jon from being hurt since Dav is his friend. David says that there is a step between him and death. Several sidesteps was all that kept David from being killed by Saul's javelin thrown.

Do we stop to consider that there is just one step between us and death? The grave is awaiting us? Death is one breath away from all of us. Do we thank God when He protects us from accidents which could have taken our life-car wreck, fall down on rocks, wrong medication strength, walking in front of traffic, disease, illness? Many times God has protected me from that step of death. Thank You Father!!

Are we ready to take that step of death when it finally comes time for us to take it? Jesus is the only way for us to be prepared. He is THE WAY to God. He is THE SAVIOR who offers salvation.

Are we letting Jesus guide our steps in the meantime?

In Job 14:16, we read where Job asks God, For now thou numberest my steps: dost thou not watch over my sin?

The Psalmist asked God to Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me. (Ps. 119:113)
Order means to make firm, to walk without halting. If no iniquity is to have dominion over us, our steps must be established by the Word of God. (Falwell)

In chapter 4 of the book of Proverbs instructs his son that if he wants his steps unhampered and to not stumble while running, then he should guard his instructions and not let it go, as well as to not set his foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men.

Proverbs 16:9 informs us In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Paul encourages us in Romans 4:12 to walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham.

1 Peter 2:21 states, For whereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps.




LET IT GO

Recognize my sins and confess them to God.

Keep trusting Jesus to guide my steps. (Ps. 23)

Walk with Jesus throughout each day.

If today I take that step into death, I am ready to walk with Jesus all the way.

Thank Him for the steps I have taken all my years.

No comments:

Post a Comment