Monday, November 30, 2015

Proof of the Truth

O. T. #645  "Proof of the Truth"
November 30, 2015
1 Samuel 24-Part 2
Some of my men told me to kill you, but I spared you. Look, my father, at what I have in my hand. It is a piece of the hem of your robe! 1 Samuel 24:10 NLT

LET IT GLOW

After Saul left David's cave, they had a conversation, shouting across the ravine. David explained what happened without Saul's knowing-David cut off a piece of the king's robe, showing that he could have killed the king. David's men tried to persuade him to take advantage of the opportunity and kill the king, but David refused, since Saul was God's anointed king of Israel. David held the proof of the truth, a piece of robe.

In verse 15, David says, May the LORD therefore judge which of us is right and punish the guilty one. He is my advocate, and He will rescue me from your power.

David certainly did what was right by not killing Saul. He endured the temptation. Do we endure temptation to sin when it comes our way. Jesus has provided a way of escape-praying to Him. Jesus is our Advocate, interceding for us at the throne of God.


LET IT GROW

Reading verse 16, I want to say, "Come on Saul. Really? Crying?" Maybe sanity returned to Saul for a couple of minutes, but then maybe it was only an act.

Finally, Saul admits:
  • David is a better man than he is;
  • David repaid him with good, not evil;
  • David had been amazingly kind to him;
  • David deserved the  Lord's reward for the kindness he had shown Saul;
  • David was surely going to be king, and Israel will flourish under David's rule;
  • Then Saul asks David to swear that he will not kill Saul's family nor his line of descendants when it happened.
David promised this oath and he returned to his stronghold while Saul returned home.

David never took revenge on Saul's family. Most of his sons were killed by the Philistines (31:2) and the Gibeonites (2 Sam. 21). Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth, was allowed to live in David's palace (2 Sam. 9).   (Life Application Study Bible)

That was quite an admission for this (previously) bitter king. This nice attitude did not last long, though.
Do we keep our promises?

LET IT GO

Love my enemies, not taking advantage of them when possible.

Trust my Advocate, Jesus Christ.

Let the truth be my proof.




No comments:

Post a Comment