Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Trash or Treasure

205.  "Trash or Treasure"               March 2, 2011

Philippians 3-Part 2
But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.   Philippians 3:7-8


LET IT GLOW

I didn't want to skip over verse 3 because it has a good description of us believers in Christ. It says, "For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh."

What is Paul saying we believers are?
  • We are the circumcision. We have the true spiritual circumcision of the heart, which is inwardly and not outwardly. Jewish legalists considered themselves to be the ones truly circumcised and right with God. Paul says we followers of Christ are the true circumcision.
  • We worship God in the Spirit. This is opposed to the external, fleshly worship that legalists emphasized. Our service  is inspired, guided, supported by the Holy Spirit.
  • We rejoice in Christ Jesus. Our rejoicing is not in external ceremonies or legal observances, but in the glory of the Lord. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. Our joy is not found in our own ability to be justified by the law or by our law-keeping. Jesus and Jesus alone is our joy. (D.Guzik)
  • We have no confidence in the flesh. We don't turst in our own ability to be righteous before God nor in our human effort through external works, but our confidence is in Jesus. Romans 8:8 states, "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God."                                                         [Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible]       
Am I relying on what Christ has done in providing my salvation, His works, or am I relying on my works? Do I worship God in His Spirit? Is my joy based on my keeping of the law or in Jesus alone? Is my confidence in my efforts, abilities? It's all about Jesus.


LET IT GROW

Is it trash or is it treasure? That is the question I ask when I prepare to move to another residence. That is the time I realized how much stuff I have accumulated over the years. I sort the clothes which are no longer worn, trash the paper accumulation, bag up broken things, then reorganize the keepers, my treasures. I see visibly how much is in the discard pile by the number of trash bags sitting there. Realization comes to me-what a waste, a waste of money, time, space. Its a loss. The trash pile gets bigger. What do I treasure? Is it really important? Is it needed? It's only stuff. Paul felt the same way about his fleshly gains that he considered losses. They are found in verses 4-9.

If anyone had a right to boast about his fleshly status from birth, or his achievement, it would have been Paul. Here is the pedigree and achievements of Paul:
(1) His heritage-Paul was circumcised on the eighth day, which meant he was an Israelite by birth. (verse 5)
(2) He was of the stock of Israel-Paul was a descendant of Abraham, an heir to God's covenant. (verse 5)
(3) Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin-His ancestors were of the youngest of Jacob's sons, the only one born
      in Canaan. It produced Israel's first king, Saul, for whom Paul may have been named. (verse 5)
(4) He was a Hebrew of the Hebrews. Even though Paul was born in Tarsus, both of his parents were
      Hebrews. (verse 5)
(5) Paul had chosen to be a  Pharisee. Their righteousness, so they thought, was by keeping the Law. He
      was among the elite people, the Jews, and was of an elite sect, the Pharisees. (verse 5)
(6) He was a zealous persecutor of the church-Paul aided the beating, imprisioning, and killing of Christians,
      which he thought was the right thing to do, serving God. (verse 6) Quite a Jewish achievement.
(7) He considered himself blameless in keeping of the Law, which was self-righteousness, though in reality
      did not exist. (verse 6)

There we have it, Paul's heritage and achievements. Do you see what an important man Paul had been before he took a trip to Damascus? His testimony wasn't bragging. It was fact. If anyone could claim to please God by law-keeping and works of the flesh, it was Paul. He was more qualified than any of his legalizing opponents. What an excellent choice of a  man for God to use as a preacher of the gospel, a missionary, a witness to royalty, a writer of 13 of the 27 books of the New Testament, such a highly educated man of his day.

But even with all of this background, Paul considered it all worthless, a loss for the cause of Christ. Paul realized that there was no profit in his religious pedigree or works. What is important is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It's the very center of our Christian life. Do you hear how much Paul loved his Savior? Here he was in a Roman prison and indeed he had suffered the loss of all things. (verse 7) It didn't get him down, he rejoiced. He had a strong feeling about this. Paul considered it all as dung, which was either excrement from the body, or table scraps that were fit only to be thrown to the dogs. (D. Guzik)

What was Paul's gain? It was faith in Jesus, the righteousness of Jesus, a relationship with Jesus, a right standing with God, living and trusting in the Savior.
Where does this leave me? I certainly don't have a pedigree like Paul nor have I such achievements. However, I do have Jesus as my Savior, faith in Him. When it's all said and done, that's all that is important.
Yes indeed. Do I have trash or treasure in my life?

Am I willing to give up anything or everything for the cause of Christ, so His will is done through me? It's all just stuff, trash, in comparison to eternal value. I recall the words of Corrie Ten Boom, "Don't hold things so tightly that you can't let go when God requires it."


LET IT GO

Keep my joy in Jesus.

Remember that I have no righteousness, only that of Christ Jesus.

Do my best for Jesus, not for me.

Be willing to loose it all  or let go of whatever, for the cause of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment