Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mysteries

Colossians 1-Part 6
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.   Colossians 1:27


LET IT GLOW

For years I enjoyed reading mystery books. Sometimes I would think I had the mystery solved and peek in the last chapter to see if I was right. Then I would go back and read the details. Paul mentions the mystery, a secret kept for centuries and generations past and from the Gentiles (verse 26).  Let's find out what it was.

NLT says verse 27 this way: For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are revealed to God's people. For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you accurance of sharing his glory."

So "Christ in you, the hope of glory" is the answer to  the mystery. The false teachers were trying to pull the Colossian believers away from the gospel by using the concept of mystery. Aren't we humans attracted to mysteries? Especially when we think that we're among the chosen few to understand it. Paul is trying to keep this church on track.

In the Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, mystery means a secret, of God's purpose to bless the Gentiles also with salvation through Christ.

"Christ is the answer: not the law, not circumcision, not ceremony, not philosophy, not science, not social reform," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

There we are, mystery solved. I am so glad that God revealed His mystery of salvation in Christ through faith to us Gentiles. The question is, "What difference does the presence of Jesus make in my life?" Do I allow Him to live His life through me?
Now that the mystery is solved, what will I do with it? Will I share it with others or keep it a secret?


LET IT GROW

Verse 25 says, "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God."

In Liberty Bible Commentary, we read:
The Greek word for dispensation is oikonomia, which is divine ordering, administration, stewardship, trusteeship. This was Paul' high privilege and sacred trust. He was a steward in God's economy; a trustee in God's household; and an administrator of God's business. Paul was on business for the King.

Paul's purpose was God's purpose and Paul's message was God's Word. Isn't that how it should be for us?
Paul saw himself as a servant of the King and His church. So am I. I like that phrase,"on business for the King."


LET IT GO

Share the mystery, the secret-salvation is in Christ only.

Be on business for the King.

Watch out, today is April Fools Day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment