Monday, March 7, 2011

Patterns

Philippians 3-Part 5
Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.    Philippians 3:17


LET IT GLOW

As a teenager,  I learned how to sew my own clothes, taking home ec. classes. When ever I decided to make a particular item of clothing, I looked through those huge pattern catalogues and bought a pattern to use. Next, I bought the amount of material it recommended, matching thread, any accessories such as a zipper or elastic. When I got home, I proceeded to lay out the material on the kitchen table, place the pattern on top as directed, pin it down on the material, then cut the material out around it. Last, I followed the instructions inside the package as to how to sew it. Usually, it turned out pretty good and I wore it, but without a pattern, I hate to think what the final product would have looked like. I'm sure I wouldn't have worn it. Good thing I wasn't born in pioneer days, huh? Paul is encouraging the Philippians to follow a pattern. Shall we see what it is?

Verse 17 in NLT says,"Dear brothers and sister, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example."
In Webster's Dictionary, pattern means an example, a model to be copied.

Earlier, Paul admitted that he wasn't a sinlessly perfect example, but he was a good example, striving as he followed Christ (1Cor. 11:1). Paul is noting that the Philippians have him and others as patterns for their Christian life. We need good examples to follow. Baby Christians should have mature Christians influencing and teaching them, being good  models for  their lives. Ultimately, the pattern for all of us should be the life of Jesus Christ.
"Pastors and church leaders are a pattern for their people, if they intend to be or not," states David Guzik.
Just as I used the pattern to cut out the material for my garment, so should I use Jesus's life and committed Christians' lives as a pattern for my life.


LET IT GROW

Did you notice that Paul used the word walk three times in verses 16-18?
Verse 16 says, "Let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing."
The Lexicon states:  walk means to direct one's life, to live.

"We need to continue in the same straight path in which we have been walking, guided by the same divine truths, and the unchanging principles of faith. We need to hold on to what we have and then strive to go higher," instructs Liberty Bible Commentary.

Verse 17 tells us to "Mark them which walk so as ye have us for an example."
The Lexicon states: walk means to regulate one's life, to conduct one's self.

So we are to walk the walk that Paul, others in the Bible, and mature Christians have walked. We are to walk the talk. Do as I do, not as I say. Others are watching me. Am I a good example for them to follow?
My children/grandchildren are watching me live and listening to me talk. Do I want them to have my attitudes? Is my conduct Christlike?

In verse 18, Paul is warning the Philippians that there are many who walk in a manner contrary to what he teaches. He regards these people as enemies of the cross of Christ. He tells how to spot these false teachers:
  • They follow their appetites-literally "their God is their belly."
  • They are proud of what they should be ashamed of.
  • Their focus is exclusively on this world.
  • Their end is destruction.
[Reference: Shepherd's Notes]

These people didn't want to follow Jesus by taking up their cross of self-denial (Matt. 16:24-26). It sure didn't matter to them what they did with their body. They disregarded God's holiness. They lived for the pleasures of the body, mind, and soul; idolatry. Their focus was not to please and worship God, but to get along in this world.  (David Guzik)
They confessed Christ with their lips, but denied Him with their lives. They worship themselves. They are completely occupied with the material, not the spiritual; with the earthly, not the heavenly. Paul states their end is doom. They are slaves to Satan, sin, and self. (Liberty Bible Commentary)


 LET IT GO

Pattern my life after Christ.

Be a good example for others to follow.

Walk the talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment