Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Together

Philippians 4-Part 2
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.    Philippianas 4:5


LET IT GLOW

I'm looking forward to family coming this weekend to visit. Our clan is planning some "getting together" time. We have a blast! We share old memories, talk and listen to what's happening to each other, let our hair down, and get away from the mundane daily grind. So it should be with  the Lord and me. What's our "together time" like?  Do I let my hair down, so to speak, being honest and genuine with my Lord as we get together? (He sees my heart and reads my mind anyway.) Or am I always stiff, in a hurry, say repeative  prayers, let my  Bible fall open to Scripture for my daily reading? Do I meet with Him several times a day?

The Lord is at hand. Yes, He is always near. He never leaves me nor forsakes me. He is faithful and shows unfailing love. Am I anticipating His appearance? Am I anticipating His coming to visit me, sitting down and talking one-on-one with me? Am I ready to listen to Him? Does Jesus walk with me and converse with me throughout the day? Things to contemplate.

"Christ may come at any moment (James 5:7-9)," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

Am I ready for the return of Christ?

The Lord is at hand. So He's right there beside me, ready to take my hand to guide me. If I let Him. If I follow Him. If I give my hand to Him. The key word is if. That means I have to surrender my direction of walking and my way of walking.


LET IT GROW
I looked up the key verse in  other versions. Here's what I found:

NLT said, "Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon."
NAS said, "Let your forebearing spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near."
Beck said, "Everybody should know how gentle you can be. The Lord is near." 
CSB reads, "Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near."

In Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, moderation means fair, mild, and gentle.
It is a noun meaning temperance; one who avoids extreme opinions or actions, (Moderate means restrained, kept or keeping within reasonable limits.) according to Webster's Dictionary.

"Your forbearance, considerateness, graciousness, gentleness, sweet reasonableness; overlooking the faults and failures of others. This is the opposite of stubbornness and thoughtlessness," instructs Liberty Bible Commentary.

David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible states this: 
Paul used an interesting ancient Greek word, epielkeia, that is translated gentleness here. This word describes the heart of a person who will let the Lord fight his battles. They know that vengeance is Mine, says the Lord (Romans 12:19). It describes a person who is really free to let go of  his anxieties and all the things that cause him stress, because he knows that the Lord will take up his cause.
A good example was when Jesus showed gentleness to the woman taken in adultery, who was set-up and brought to Jesus. He showed  gentleness to her.

All right then,  my actions should be gentle and gracious for all to see. I wonder how others see me? Probably as a hard-shelled turtle protecting myself.
Do I pick and choose to whom I show this gentleness? It says to all people. I haven't thought about showing gentleness to adults. I do it toward children, which is easy to do. But to adults? They can be harsh, mean, Lord. Are you sure about this?  So I'm to show gentleness to all people. That means I don't pick and choose  to whom I show gentleness, right? I'm not responsible for their actions, only mine. Well, I want to be obedient. Okay, I'll work on it today. Gentleness. (Lord, remind me whenever I'm not showing gentleness.)


LET IT GO

Remember, the Lord is always at hand. Call on Him.

Be gentle to all people today.

No comments:

Post a Comment