Thursday, March 17, 2011

Strength

Philippians 4-Part 7
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Not withstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.  
 Philippians 4:13-14


LET IT GLOW

Have you had anyone help you in your time of need or time of trouble? There is no way to repay the giver, because it was their love that they gave, not the money or things. While both my hubby and I were in college, preparing for the ministry, a lady in our home church annonimously sent money  to help us. It was always appreciated and needed. We had two preschoolers to support during that time, so the gift was often used for milk and food. It always came just at our time of need. Paul felt grateful to the Philippians for their monitary gift. This was the only church to send money to support the missionary.

Verse 14 of The New Testament by Charles Williams, says it this way: "But you did me a kindness to share my sorrow."
NAS says: "Nevertheless, you have done will to share with me in my affliction."

Paul is commending the Philippians for their loving care in relieving his sufferings. They became fellow partakers in common with Paul in the furtherance of the gospel. His needs were real and his appreciation was sincere. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Do I look for ways to share in someones affliction, sorrow, need? Am I obedient when Jesus whispers to me to "give" to another?
(Matthew 25 has the parable of the master who went away, leaving talents with his servants. Two of the servants multiply the talents (money) and they are commended for a job well done.) I want to be a faithful servant to whom Jesus says "Well done."


LET IT GROW

Since I have grown older, there are times when I can't open a new jar that's sealed. So I take it to my strong hubby for help. Of course, he opens it with  ease and a smile. I have come to realize that the strength in my hands has deminished. I will always need help with my physical limitations. You know, physical is not the only area that I need strengthened in. Other areas of my life are weak, so I need Christ's strength. Can I endure during trials and temptations that come my way? Did Paul have any weakness, needing His strength, too? Paul, needed help?

"Verse 13 is often taken out of context and used to reinforce a "super-Christian" mentality, instead of seeing that the strength of Christ in Paul's life was manifest in his ability to be content when he did suffer need,"
according to David Guzik.

John 15:5 says, "for without Me (Jesus) you can do nothing."
With Jesus I can do all things, but without Him I can't do anything. So Paul was talking about the power of Christ giving him strength to be content. That's because his contentment was in Christ, which we learned yesterday.

In Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, strengtheneth means to make strong, endure with strength, strengthen.

Matthew Henry said strengtheneth was in present tense. That means it is a present and continued act or as if to say, "Through Christ, who is strengthening me, and does continually strengthen me; it is by His constant and renewed strength I am enabled to act in every thing; I wholly depend upon Him for all my spiritual power."
Here are some helpful verses:
Eph. 6:10-Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
2 Tim. 2:1-Be strong in the grace which is in Christ Jesus.
Eph. 3:16-Be strenthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man.

There we have it. Christ gives contentment. He is continually making me strong in the area of contentment. I have to call on Christ and stay focused on Him. Otherwise, in my strength, I turn to other things to be my contentment. Does that make sense?
Content means rest or quietness of the mind in the present condition, satisfaction which holds the mind in peace, happiness. All I do is surrender to Christ.


LET IT GO

Do everything well done.

Turn to Christ for strength to be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment