Thursday, March 24, 2011

Am I Fit?

Colossians 1-Part 3
For He delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.         Colossians 1:13-14  NAS


LET IT GLOW

In verse 12, Paul is "Giving thanks unto the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light."

Every Christian has been made fit, adequate, qualified, competent and sufficient. There are no degrees of fitness. Fitness depends on privilege and position, not character or experience. The Greek points to the instantaneous act of conversion, not a progressive process. It is a present reality.
(Liberty Bible Commentary)

I want to be a fit person. I usually walk on the treadmill 1 1/2 to 2 miles five times a week. Who's to say I am a fit person, physically? I could probably endure 5 miles of walking at a time, but not running.  I suppose I am the only one that is qualified to say that I'm fit. I know if my body is fit or not. So I looked it up.

Fit means be of the right shape, size; proper, suitable; in top position, according to Webster's Dictionary.

Only I know my proper size that is suitable for my body to function at its highest, best capacity. Right? But charts and experts give their opinions on the subject.
God is the one who makes me fit spiritually. It's because of Jesus dying on the cross in my place to pay for my sins. He is what makes me fit spiritually to meet God's standard of holiness. I wear the breastplate of righteousness provided by Jesus, clothed in the blood of the Lamb,  when I enter the throne room of the Father. He sees Jesus' blood, not my sins.

What else has Jesus done? Verse 13 tells us-God delivered me from the power of darkness. I was held captive by Satan in my sin. Then God translated, transferred, me from the devil's dominion to Christ's control. I am now a citizen in the realm of light (1Peter 2:9). It can't get any better, or can it?
Am I fit for heaven?


LET IT GROW

"In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins," says verse 14.

"We have redemption because of our vital union with Christ. Redemption means deliverance, ransom, release, emancipation. Redemption speaks of our release on the payment of a ransom." (Liberty Bible Commentary)

So I was held captive without release until I reached out for the payment of my ransom, which was paid by Jesus Christ-salvation. It came through His blood and was a result of the forgiveness of my sins. It was paid for me, I didn't work for it, nor earn it. Salvation is a free gift to us, but it cost Jesus His life.

"Forgiveness is remission, the sending away and removal of our sins." (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Praise the Lord, it did get better! How about you? Jesus has paid the ransom for you. Have you accepted His blood as the payment for your sins, too?


LET IT GO

Am I fit for heaven?

Give thanks for the ransom He paid to purchase my salvation.

Give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment