Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Opportunities

Philippians 4-Part 5
But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.   Philippians 4:10

LET IT GLOW

When someone says thanks to me, it gives me a warm fuzzy. How about you? The question is, do I thank others as much as I should? No, I don't. I should. I will. How many times can I say "thanks" today? The challenge is on. How many times will you say thanks today? Not only should we thank others, but we should thank our heavenly Father, also.

Paul is still rejoicing. This is the tenth time, I counted, that he used the form of the word rejoice. Paul was rejoicing in the Lord. How? Greatly. Again, he thanks the Philippians  for remembering him and his needs, as they had before. It may have been years between the gifts mentioned in 2 Corinthians 8 and the one delivered by Epaphroditus (Phil.2:25). Meanwhile, Paul had learned to be content with whatever God supplied to him. (Shepherd's Notes)

Am I still rejoicing? Do I give thanks in every situation? Am I content with whatever God supplies? I recall the children of Israel, in the book of Exodus, grumbled and missed the food they had back in  Egypt. Then they grumbled some more when they got tired of the blessing of quail (meat). People don't change do they? I'm not happy if I don't have "it" and when I get "it," I'm still not happy. That's because happiness isn't external, but internal.
Paul learned this. We will discuss contentment tomorrow.
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.


LET IT GROW

When I taught school, the teachers had a mailbox in the teacher's launge. I would sneek in there when no one was looking and leave a piece of chocolate candy in several teachers' box. I wanted to brighten up their day and show that they were appreciated. One day I got caught putting it on a teacher's desk. I like the smile it brought. Do we look for a chance to show people we care about them?

Verse 10, as read in The New Testament by William Beck, says "It made me very happy in the Lord that now again you showed a fresh interest in me. You were interested but didn't have a chance to show it."

Do I show new interest in people's lives? Do they know I care about them? Probably I just assume they know. Do I grab the opportunites given me, seize the moment,  and tell them or show them my love?
Not often enough, I admit. How about you? If you're like me, will you join me in taking the time and the opportunity to show love today? Seems like a good habit to begin.


LET IT GO

Say thanks.

Rejoice in the Lord.

Take the opportunity to show or tell someone I love them and do it today. Don't wait.

Hey, I love ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment