Monday, March 21, 2011

Icing on the Cake

218.  "Icing on the Cake"                     March 21, 2011

Philippians 4-Part 9
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen      Philippians 4:23

LET IT GLOW

The day after her third birthday, I was keeping my granddaughter. She helped me stir up a strawberry cake, which included licking the spatula. You know she had the batter all over her face and I had to take a picture. Anyway, after the cake baked and cooled, we put icing on top. After all, what is cake without the sweet icing? Just plain cake. So we topped the cake with pink frosting and she put pastel colored marshmellows on it. Of course, we had to have a piece for snacktime. The last four verses of Philippians is a sort of benediction, the icing on the cake so to speak.

Paul's joy and love continues as he wraps up his letter. First, he wants to glorify God our Father. Next, he sends a salute, which was shown by embrassing and kissing. It was sent to all the saints, Christians, believers in Christ, that were in the church. Another thing, this salute, greeting, was from children of God and servants in Caesar's household who were converted. Last, Paul sends the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ to the Philippian church. He was putting icing on the cake, so to speak.
Are my words like icing on the cake for people? Are they sweet like icing?


LET IT GROW

May I take this time to say thank you, friend, for walking with me through the book of Philippians. I have learned much about joy, which is much needed in my life. Paul mentioned it four times and rejoice nine times. Joy means gladness, enjoyment, to celebrate. He found joy in Jesus.
Also, Paul learned to be content. Content means rest or quietness of the mind in the present condition. He was content in Christ; he found his contentment in Christ.
There are  many wonderful verses that are gold nuggets in my Bible. Here are a few:

*Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day
  of Jesus Christ. (1:6)
*For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (1:21)
*Let nothing be done through stife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than
  themselves. (2:3)
*Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus. (2:50
*That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under
   the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 
   (2:10-11)
*Do all things without murmurings and disputings. (2:14)
*But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ, Yea doubtless, and I count all things but
  loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all
  things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ. (3:7-8)
*That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of is sufferings, being made
  conformable unto his death. (3:10)
*Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are
  behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the
  high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (3:13-14)
*Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the
   working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. (3:21)
*Rejoice in the Lord alway; and again I say, Rejoice, Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord
  is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your
  requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep
  your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (4:4-7)
*Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,
  whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be
  any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (4:8)
*Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, that whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed
  both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which
  strengtheneth me. (4:11-13)
*But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (4:19)

What a letter! What encouragement and love.


LET IT GO

Have joy in Jesus and contentment in Christ.

Let Him be my strength and supply.

Be thankful in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment