Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Loaded Hamburgers

Colossians 1-Part 1
We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you.
Colossians 1:3

Introduction:

This is one of the four letters which Paul wrote to churches during his first Roman imprisonment. It was written about the same time as Philippians and Philemon, around 60-61 A.D. Five men, besides Timothy, were with Paul-Artistarchus, Mark, Justus, Epaphras, Luke, and Demas, which are mentioned in the last chapter and elsewhere in scriptures. Letters were often carried by personal messengers. Tychicus and Onesimus delivered this letter to the church at Colosse.
Paul's major teaching centered on the question, Who is Jesus Christ? Christ is both the Creator and Reconciler (1:15-23). He is fully devine and fully human.
The theme of this letter centers on the supremacy of Christ. Paul emphasizes that Christ was sufficient for the total Christian life from beginning to end. Only He is worthy of worship and obedience, for the fulness of God is in Him and in Him alone (1:15-20).

Paul's purpose for writing the letter was to address false teachings in the church. Heresy threatened the believers at Colosse-Gnosticism.(pronounced with a silent G) It comes from the Greek word for knowledge, gnosis. It was a cult which claimed to  possessed a special, secret knowledge not available to simple Christians. Only through their secret knowledge could a person enter into the full experience of spiritual reality.  [Resource: Shepherd's Notes]  Sounds like some cults we have today, doesn't it?
Gnostics saw everything categorized under two principles-good, which was associated with spiritual-God is good, and evil-materialism. [Resource: Illustrated Bible Handbook by Lawrence O. Richards] We'll get into this later on.

Background:
The city of Colosse was part of the Roman province of Asia (part of modern Turkey), about 100 miles east of Ephesus in the region of the seven churches of Revelation 1-3. The city lay along the Lycus River. The Lycus Valley narrowed at Colosse to a width of about two miles, and Mt. Cadmus rose 8,000 feet above the city. Black wool and dyes were important products. This city was situated at the junction of trade routes, but later the main road was rerouted through Laodicias, which resulted in its decline economy.
Colosse's population was mainly Gentile, with a large Jewish settlement dating back to the days of Antiochus the Great. This influenced the church with heresy plaguing it with Jewish legalism and pagan mysticism.
The church at Colosse began during Paul's three-year ministry at Ephesus. However, he was not the founder, but Epaphras, who was apparently saved during a visit to Ephesus, probably starte the church when he returned home. [Resource: The MacArthur Bible Handbook]

I think I have a better understanding as we begin this book in the New Testament.

LET IT GROW

There is so much to be thankful for, isn't here? Oh, I'm not talking about the generic, basic things, such a family, house, jobs, friends, etc. I'm talking about being thankful in every situation, problem, and for all things.
I had to confess to the Lord the other day, while sitting at McD's with hubby and granddaughter, I was not thankful for a plain hamburger. I wanted one with mustard, lettuce, and tomato on it, thank you very much.
(Due to health issues at the present time, it was forbidden fruit.) And don't forget the pickle, too. One that was loaded. Isn't that us? I can be appreciative for the Big Mac's and loaded Quarter Pounders, but not thankful for just the plain hamburgers of life. The everyday things our heavenly Father provides that we take for granted. Things like dandelions in the yard, budding trees, fresh water, a hug from a loved one, an email from a family member, eyes to see, legs that walk, a voice to speak. Then I'm convicted when I think of my sister inlaw's dad who had cancer surgery in the mouth and can't chew food yet. Shame on me! It's all a matter of perspective, where I'm walking.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In every thing give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

The Greek word for thanks is eucharisteo. It's pronounced yoo-khar-is-teh'o. I means to be grateful, to express gratitude; especially to say grace at a meal: give thanks, thank, thankful.

I picked up a book the other day at our Dayspring outlet that is written by Ann Voskamp entitled "One Thousand Gifts." Ann is making a list of 1,000 gifts that God has given to her and giving thanks for them as she does this. Little things and big things.
Ann says, "I invite thanks. For this is His will, thanks the one thing He asks to be done in everything and always and only because He knows what precedes the miracle. Give is a verb, something that we do. God calls me to do thanks. To give the thanks away. That thanks-giving might literally become thanks-living. That our lives become the very blessings we have received. I am blessed. I can bless."

This is a lady who has six children, husband,and lives on a farm. Busy, but not too busy to be grateful for all things. Small and big things. Thank You Lord for the plain hamburgers in my life. I know You provide them. It's what You deem best for me. As I trust You, there will be loaded hamburgers one of these days.
"Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions," says Ps. 119:18 (NLT).
Yes, open my thankful eyes so I can see all You provide for me. Help me be thankful, in the easy and hard times. I'm writing my list of 1,000 things I'm grateful for. Will you join me?
Read Ps. 136-His mercy endures forever. NLT says His faithful love endures for forever.


LET IT GO

In every thing give thanks.

Jesus, thanks for plain hamburgers and loaded hamburgers.

Thank You for Your gifts-thousands of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment