Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Bags are Packed

Philippians 3-Part 6
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereaby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.     Philippians 3:20-21


LET IT GLOW

We are still having winter. It gets down into the 20's at night, sometimes. Although I enjoyed the snow, all
2 1/2 feet of it, I am looking forward to our trip to Miami, Florida in a few weeks. Already in my mind I am thinking about what clothes to take. Ahh, summer ones! It's warm there. Walking on the beach. Can't wait. I've never been there. (Maybe a sweater, just in case it's chilly.) I don't like to wait until the day before to pack. I like to start ahead of time. Make sure I have everything ready, you know. But on the morning of our flight, I definitely will be singing with Glen Cambell, "My bags are packed and I'm ready to go."

In verse 21, Paul focuses on the physical body, which will be transformed to become like Christ's heavenly body. We are destined for eternity. This earthly body is subject to disease, death, and decay. Paul describes it as our vile body.
Vile means lowness, low estate, according to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.
My body will be changed, fashioned, made suitable for the next world, conformed to the body like Christ's in His glorious state.
Glorious means the glorious condition of blessedness into which it is appointed and promised that true Christians shall enter after their Savior's return from heaven. This condition will inclued not only the blessedness of the soul, but also the gain of a more excellent body. (Thayer's Lixicon)

I am ready for a new body. How about you?


LET IT GLOW

In verse 20, Paul tells us that our conversation is in heaven. What is conversation?

According to Thayer's Lexicon, conversation is commonwealth whose citizens we are.

Our citizenship is in heaven. We are only traveling through this world. We're headed to another place, one of perminence. Heaven is our destination where Jesus our Savior lives. Are we looking forward to it, or sad to leave this world?
Got your bags packed? Ready to go? Am I eargerly waiting and expecting the second coming of Christ?

Did you notice the last part of verse 21? Jesus is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
Subdue is the act of subjectiong; obedience, to submit one's control; to yield to one's admonition or advice.
So, He will bring everything under His control. Everyone and everything will yield, obey, submit to Jesus.


LET IT GO


What do I need to let go of so I'm ready for heaven?

Some things I don't want to pack along with me, so I need to get rid of it here.

Submit, yield, obey now.

Rejoice. I'll have a new body.

No comments:

Post a Comment