Friday, May 18, 2018

Deliver Speedily

O. T. #1206  "Deliver Speedily "
May 18, 2018
Psalms 31


LET IT GLOW

Either this psalm was written by David during his escape from the treachery of the men of Keilah
(1 Samuel 23) or his running from Absalom his son. Even during a time of deep distress, David places his confidence in the LORD his God. We read of David's problems, prayers, and praises.
Again, he walks a road that takes him from anguish to assurance. His God is sufficient and so is ours.

David needed deliverance, not tomorrow, but this day he composed this song. He prayed for God to stop those who were unjustly causing trouble. He needed deliverance speedily. David's request was based upon what he knew about God's character:
  • deliverer that is speedily (verses 1-2)
  • a strong rock (verse 2)
  • a house of defense
  • fortress (verse 3)
  • leader and guide
  • Truth (verse 5)
  • blessing (verse 21)
  • marvelous kindness
  • hears prayers of His children (verse 22)
  • overrules the wicked (verses 17-18)
  • great goodness (verse 19)
  • rescuing His saints (verse 23)
How reassuring it is for us whenever we read that list. Each day holds something different for us, but we can call upon the name of the Lord in our time of need, which varies daily. Which are you in need of today? I am in need of a leader and guide as we make important decisions. You may be in need of  God's help in a different way. There are times we only have time to whisper a quick prayer "He me Jesus". And He hears and works it out for our good and His glory.

LET IT GROW

Here are some phrases made by David which can encourage us:
In Thee, O LORD, do I put my trust. (verse 1)
Deliver me speedily. (verse 2)
For Thy name's sake, lead me and guide me. (verse 3)
Thou art my strength. (verse 4)
Into Thine hand I commit my spirit. (verse 5)

Did you recognize that last one? Jesus said it while dying on the cross. (Luke 23:46)
Jesus simply yielded up His soul, committing it to God. Thus, He "offered Himself without spot to God." (Hebrews 9:14) MacArthur

Into whose hands do we commit our spirit-employer, bank, organizations? Or Jesus?
Before we die, even today, can we commit our spirit to God to be used for His purpose? Use us Lord to help others experience Your love and forgiveness, grace and mercy.

LET IT GO

Jesus loves me, this I know.
I will walk this road of life by faith in Jesus, committing my spirit to His use.

No comments:

Post a Comment