May 10, 2018
Psalms 27-Part 2
One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.
LET IT GLOW
When David took flight from his son Absalom, who desired the king's throne, David left Jerusalem and the Tabernacle. During this time, in what was David confident?
Confident means to trust, be sure, make to hope.
What is David sure of, putting his trust in, and making his hope? Verses 2 and 3 tell us he is not going to fear when:
- evil people come to devour him;
- wicked enemies and foes come to attack him; or
- a mighty army surrounded David.
David feels safe, for God is his shelter and hiding place. Grace will make him easy, as well as be his stronghold and strong tower.
Matthew Henry's Commentary encourages us:
The gracious presence of God, His power, His promise, His readiness to hear prayer, the witness of His Spirit in the hearts of his people-these are the secret of His tabernacle, and in these the saints find cause for that holy security and serenity of mind in which they dwell at ease.
LET IT GROW
If there was one thing David would have asked of God, this would be it, found in verse 4.
- That he may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life. It was not for the good entertainment, feasts, music or singing that were there.
- He desired to behold the beauty of the Lord. Holiness and goodness is His beauty.
- And to inquire in His temple-pray. Instructions from God is found through prayer and the Word.
Are we spending time sitting at the feet of Jesus?
LET IT GO
Be sure my confidence is in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word.
Worship in His Temple, church.
Behold His beauty, holiness and goodness.
Pray with faith.