Monday, January 14, 2013

Turn Around to See Who is Talking

673.  "Turn Around to See Who is Talking"  
January 14, 2013
Revelation 1-Part 8
Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me. and having turned I saw seven golden lampstands; and in the middle of the lampstands I saw one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across his chest with a golden sash. Rev. 1: 12-13 NAS

LET IT GLOW


When I am in a crowd, I can easily recognize the voices of my cousins, even if I don't see them. We grew up together, spending time playing as kids. My ears perk up and my radar is on as I turn around in search of their location in a crowd. I want to be close to them, talk to them, hug them. (We're a huggy family.) I imagine that the voice of Jesus startled John, since they probably had not visited in 30-40 years. Shall we look in on this private visit?

Christ stood behind John and spoke with a great voice like a trumpet the words in verse 11. John turned to see who spoke to him. Then John saw:
  • Seven golden candlesticks-seperated, but similar to those used in the tabernacle and Temple. These were portable gold lampstands that held small oil lamps. Each lampstand represented a church (verse 20). Since seven is representative of completeness in Scriptures, these seven lampstands are representative of all the churches.
  • The Son of Man-the title that Christ used most often for Himself during His earthly ministry (81 times in the Gospels). His garment(a princely and priestly robe denoting righteousness and honor) hung down to His feet with a golden girdle, sash (breast-plate of high priest). Christ is revealed as the High Priest coming in judgment, yet as the serving One.
  • His head, hair, eyes-snow white hair as wool, as a crown of glory, the Ancient of Days; eyes of fire which pierced and penetrated into hearts; a glowing white light (Dan.7:9)
  • His feet and voice-strong and steadfast feet like burning brass which will trample the winepress of God's wrath (Is. 63:1-5); His powerful voice roars as a mighty stream, (crashing against rocks) not calming a troubled sea, but calling down the judgment of God on the wicked.
  • The seven stars, a sword, and His face- ministers of the 7 churches, under Christ's direction; the sword is the Word which wounds and heals, strikes at sins; His face, countenance was as the sun shining, too bright and dazzling for mortal eyes to behold, with splendor and holy strength.
Christ is not coming as a mere man like He did the first time. He was not the kind of Jesus that John remembered from earlier years-preaching, healing, suffering on the cross, ascending into heaven. Joh had witnessed Jesus' glory at the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17, Mark 9, Luke 9). This was the risen Lord in all His splendor that John saw.
All see Him and all will know who He is the next time Jesus Christ appears in the clouds.

LET IT GROW

And when I saw Him, I fell at his feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand upon me, saying, " Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades." Rev. 1:17-18 NAS

How did John react to such a sight of Jesus that He had never seen before?

Here is John, the elder, apostle, evangelist, theologian, writer, and elite member of Christ's inner circle, reduced to a trembling sinner lying powerless before the King of kings and Lord of lords.
A terrified John fell at Jesus' feet.

Do we do the same when we come into the presence of a Holy God and Savior?

Then this might King bent down and touched John with His nail-pierced hand to comfort His old friend.
I picture Jesus raising John up on his feet. The sixty year old apostle is tired from working on the island. The Savior spoke kind words to him.

Christ lived, lives, and lives forever. He is the One who has supreme authority over death and Hades.

After I fall on our knees to acknowledge Jesus as Lord, He raises me up to stand on mountains, to walk on stormy seas, as the song goes. He raised me up to be more than I can be.

[Resources: The MacArthur Bible Commentary, Liberty Bible Commentary, Matthew Henry's Commentary, Swindoll's New Testament Insights on Revelation]

LET IT GO

Take time to get away from the noisy world and listen to Jesus.

Fall down on my knees in worship.

Turn to Jesus when He calls me.

Bring my heartaches to Him.

Let  Him raise me up above my trials and problems.





No comments:

Post a Comment