Friday, January 4, 2013

Blessings

667.  "Blessings"             January 4, 2013
Revelation 1-Part 2  
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.  Rev. 1:3 KJV 

LET IT GLOW

Do you want to be blessed? I surely do. Who doesn't? I think that when we question if we are blessed,  it depends on our perspective and position as to what we consider as a blessing. How can I say that I am blessed with having two diseases, Crohns and osteoporosis? Because I am alive and breathing to experience them, and have been for 11 years now. Yes, I am blessed. I haven't broken any bones, especially my weak spine in the last two years that I have been off medication. I am able to walk, run, skip, climb. I am not in a wheelchair. Yes, Lord, I am blessed! (I needed this lesson, since I found out yesterday the results of my bone density test and was down in the dumps. I'll have to start taking medication again to stop the deterioration of my bones.) Thank You Jesus for all Your blessings! He already knows that I was not happy about my diagnosis. Oh well, here we go again-another challenge in life. How do I react to it? Happy or down in the dumps? It's my choice.

Blessed (makarious) means supremely blessed, fortunate, well off, happy.
John wrote that the ones who read, hear, and heed the words of prophecy of Revelation would be blessed.

What does it mean to be blessed in the Biblical sense? One commentator says this about blessed, "It does not express superficial sentiment but instead the rugged and tested assurance that it is a good thing to be walking in the pathway of God's will."

Now that is where I want to be-walking in the pathway of God's will. I've walked on my own path, and it ain't no fun. (Pardon my slang.)

Did you know that the same Greek term, makarious, is used repeatedly by Jesus in the famous "beatitudes" found in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:3-11?

Charles Swindoll says, "Revelation contains seven 'beatitudes' for believers, designed to provide hope and encouragement in the midst of trials." Here they are:

      Blessed are those who:
  1. read, hear, and heed the prophecy (1:3). They will grow through its life-changing message.
  2. die in the Lord (14:13). They will rest from labors and receive a reward.
  3. stay alert and keep their clothes (16:15). They will not be ashamed for their lack of reward.
  4. are invited to the wedding feast of Christ (19:9). They will experience everlasting celebration.
  5. have a part in the first resurrection (20:6). They will never suffer or die again.
  6. heed the words of the prophecy of this book (22:7). They will be ready for Christ's coming.
  7. wash their robes (22:14). They will receive reward for their deeds.
We can't say that we have not been told how to be blessed. Yes sir-ee. I am blessed!

LET IT GROW

Now what was it John said in verse 3 that I needed to do in order to be blessed?
-Read Revelation.
-Hear the words of this prophecy.
-Keep (heed) the things written therein.

This is the only biblical book that comes with a blessing for the person who listens to it being read and explained and, then, responds in obedience. (MacArthur)

Scripture can only be effective when applied in the life.  (Falwell)

Friends, there are some blessings awaiting us these next few, maybe several, months. If I want them, then I must read, hear, and heed the words in Revelation. Are you up for the challenge?

The time is at hand. Time refers to epochs, eras, or seasons. (MacArthur)

Are you ready to get started? I surely am.

LET IT GO

Open my eyes,
Open my ears,
Open my heart to see and hear
Words You speak,
Directions You go,
Obey the things
You tell me are so.

Thank You Jesus for Your blessings today!!!!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment