Thursday, January 31, 2013

An Open Door

682.  "An Open Door"  January 31, 2013
Revelation 4-Part 6
And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and One sat on the throne. Revelation 4:2 KJV

LET IT GLOW

Recall John's instructions to write things he had seen (chapter 1), things which are (chapters 2-3), and things to come (chapters 4-22). So far, the first two have been discussed. Now we will enter into the latter part of the three sections of Revelation. (What must take place after this-the church age)
Now, I want you to understand that I am not a scholar on this book, but I do have access to several commentaries which I will be using. Please don't expect to get all your questions answered by me. I have many my own self. I intend to only give an overview of each chapter. I leave the details to to scholoars.
However, I do agree with Falwell, who said, "All this is to be fulfilled in the future after the church is taken home to heaven."

Doors-they keep things out and keep things in whenever closed. Here we have an open door.
Door used here refers to the way to enter into the God's Eternal Kingdom, like a palace. (Thayer's Lexicon)

If I go to visit a friend or family, and they open their door to me, tell me to come on in, chances are, I will enter. So it was for John-he saw an open door before him, then Jesus said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this." (NIV)

Here John was on the Isle of Patmos, worshiping God, probably alone, when Jesus approaches John. Has he gotten over the shock of  all that he invisioned and experienced? He heard what to write to seven churches. Yet there was more? I wonder how may steps John took before he was taken up.
Did you notice that Jesus was already in heaven, on the other side of the door? Anyway, the Word says, "At once I was in the Spirit." Not a second of hesitation. I think that is how it will be when I die-immediately I will be taken up to heaven and will enter the open door, then see Jesus.

Whooee! I'm ready! How about you dear friend? Have you been washed in the blood of the Lamb? Are your garments white as snow? (Spiritually speaking) Have you asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins and come into your heart as your Savior? That is the only way we can enter into our eternal home.

This is the open door to the throne of God. How do we enter? By Jesus only.

In John 10:9, Jesus said,"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."

God has called you up higher. Growth in grace is measured not by the fact that you have not gone back, but that you have heard God say, "Come up higher," not to you personally, but to the insight of your character. Never let God give you one point of truth which you do not instantly live up to. Always work it out, keep in the light of it. (My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers)

Help me, Lord Jesus, to live up to your higher expectations of me. 

LET IT GROW

John saw...
  • a throne set in heaven;
  • One sitting on that throne;
  • a rainbow around the throne, like emeralds;
  • 24 elders sitting on 24 seats;
  • lightnings;
  • 7 lamps of fire;
  • a sea of glass like crystal;
  • 4 beasts full of eyes.
Here are some things Charles Swindoll, in his book Swindoll's New Testament Insights on Revelation has this to say:

John's indescribable vision he saw while he was in the Spirit, was accurate yet words were inadequate to describe God's throne. John used the word homoios, which means like, similar to. John saw God's matchless worth represented by precious stones ahd His brightness and beauty shining like a rainbow. His power burst forth like thunder and lightning. Even in John's vivid description, however, the Father Himself remained hidden from sight, veiled (as Paul put it) in unaproachable light. (1 Tim. 6:16) On the one hand, the Bible clearly says that God is invisble and unseen (1 Tim. 1:17). Jesus is the only one who has seen God. (John 6:46) He who has seen Me has seen the Father, Jesus said in John 14:9.
The Father is the center and source of all creation. Everything points to and revolves around Him, He occupies the sovereign place of rule and has unshakable authority over all things (Ps. 115:3). His sovereign rule is fixed, permanent, and unshakable. Once we come to grips with John's vision of God, our response can be nothing less than utter awe, unwavering commitment, and deep reverence for the eternal King.
 
Amen! Amen! Do I praise God for Who He is and for what He has done? Do I worship Him as the jewel of my life?

Swindoll says that our churches are missing the jewel of worship. Worshiping God alone as supreme. He alone is the subject of our praise and the object of our worship. Keep our eyes and ears on the One who is worthy of all praise. Do I? Do you?

LET IT GO

Do I shut off my cell phone during worship time so I shut the door on the world and enter the throne room?

Do I focus on people and objects in the service instead of God?

He alone is worthy of worship and praise.








No comments:

Post a Comment