Thursday, January 24, 2013

Closed Doors

678.  "Closed Doors"            January 24, 2013
Revelation 3-Part 2
I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.  Revelation 3:8 KJV

Background

City of Philadelphia
This city was named after its founder, Attalus Philadelphus, king of Pergamos, (190 BC) because he was loyal to his brother Eumenes. His unusual devotion to his brother earned the city its name. Its name, Philadelphia, means city of brotherly love. The city was an important commercial stop on a major trade route called the Imperial Post Road, a first century mail route.
 It was situated 25 miles south of Sardis. Like their neighbor Sardis, in AD17, a massive earthquake demolished the city of Philadelphia. May of the people moved out to surrounding areas. Those who stayed rebuilt with the help of its emperor, Tiberius Caesar. Thus, it was renamed as Neocaesarea.

Church of Philadelphia
Scripture does not mention this church anywhere else, so it was probably the fruit of Paul's extended ministry in Ephesus (Acts 19:10). Philadelphia and Smyrna are the only churches of the seven without reproof. It was a weak church and Smyrna was a suffering one. As a gateway to the East, Philadelphia sat at the crossroads of several languages, cultures, and people groups. It had great opportunities for ministry, evangelistic and missionary one.
In comparison, Philadelphia could not match the riches and influence of Laodicea, the history and heritage of Ephesus, the great reputation of Sardis, nor the fame of faithful Smyrna.  Although it was a small, insignificant, poor, and often overlooked church, God used it.

LET IT GLOW

Charles Swindoll mentions four encouraging promises that Christ relayed to Philadelphia:
  1. He would cause their adversaries to be humiliated before them (verse 9).
  2. Christ would keep them, and all believers, from the coming worldwide tribulation(verse 10).
  3. It would remain strong and secure (verses 11-12).
  4. Christ gave the promise of a new ownership (verse 12).
Though it suffered from persecution, this church was holy and true, having no marks or blemishes.
Can Jesus say that about my church? About me?

LET IT GROW

When our two children were growing up, there was a  time when my teaching contract was not renewed. It came unexpectedly. I chose to trust God to open the door to another job, to provide for my family. He did just that.

God opens and closes doors according to His sovereign will and guided by His infinite wisdom. When He closes doors of opportunity, He does it to open others. Our God knows what He is doing and why He is doing it, though I may not understand. If my path is blocked and I get pulled through other doors, do I protest by kicking and screaming? Do I patiently trust God to reveal His plan for me, one step at a time? Only Christ is qualified to make decisions regarding His work. He is an awesome God.
Swindoll calls it "insurmountable opportunities," the closed doors before us. When God closes doors to passageways that seemed so obvious and easy, He opens other doors that may appear less desirable and more difficult to enter,
They should turn our attention away from ourselves and back to our God. They are supposed to force us to trust completely in the Lord our God.

How do I react to closed doors? Am I looking for open doors? Do I pray that God will help me see the opportunities He's placing before me? Am I ready to step through an open door of opportunity in God's strength? Do I keep His Word and proclaim His name above all others?

LET IT GO

Let go of the doorknob to a closed door.

Look for the open doors to witness for Jesus.

Obey as I walk by faith, not by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment