Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Discipline

680.  "Discipline"         January 29, 2013
Revelation 3-Part 4
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
Revelation 3:19

LET IT GLOW

Because I loved my children, I would discipline them whenever they did something wrong. I wanted them to learn what was acceptable and right.  So it is with God. He disciplines us, His beloved children, so we will turn to Him and repent of the wrong done, then not do it again. Other translations say similiar words in verse 19. Here's what I found.

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. NIV

I correct and discipline everyone I love, so be deligent and turn from your indifference. NLT

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.  ESV

Did you notice, for rebuke, they say correct, reprove. Thayer's Lexicon defines rebuke as by deed; to chasten; punish.
Did you notice, for chasten, they say discipline. Thayer's Lexicon says chasten means employed of God to chasten by the infliction of evils and calamities.
Webster's Dictionary defines both words as reprimand.

So why does God rebuke, discipline, chasten, reprimand us? The reason is He loves us. Grace was available back then and still is available to us now. All we need to do is repent. We agree with God that we did wrong, sinned, and ask His forgiveness. Are we to be slow in repenting? No, we are to be earnest and deligent.

I should repent before God needs to discipline, rebuke, or chasten me.

LET IT GROW

What else does Jesus tell the Laodiceans and us?
  • So we are not in poverty, nakedness, or blindness (verse 17-18), Jesus advises buying gold, which speaks of righteousness, white raiment, which denoted practical righteousness, and eye-salve, which points to spiritual discernment. The Laodiceans lacked all three spiritually.
  • Open the door of our heart to Him. It is an invitation to accept Christ as Savior. He stands at the door and knocks. Will you let Him come in? If so, He will sup with us and we will sup with Him. Sup means to dine; take the principal or evening meal. He will sit down and talk with us as He feeds us spiritual food. (verse 20)
  • Overcome. Believers will share the privilege and authority that Christ enjoys as they reign with Him. (verse 21)
  • Hear what the Spirit of God has to say as He pleads with the individual heart.(verse 22)
Christ is knocking at the door of your life. Won't you let Him in? He wants to bless you with eternal riches, provide your true spiritual needs, open your eyes to your real condition, and clothe you with His righteousness and works empowered by the Holy Spirit. Stop! Don't go any farther until you've opened the door of your heart to Him. (Charles Swindoll)

LET IT GO

Accept the Lord's discipline for my wrongs. Repent.

Let go of my sins and wrong ways; turn to Jesus.

Hear what He has to say to me.

Open the door of my heart to Jesus when He's knocking.

Buy gold, white raiment, and eye-salve for me spiritually from Jesus.










No comments:

Post a Comment