Friday, January 11, 2013

A Spiritual Journal

672.  "A Spiritual Journal "           January 11, 2013
Revelation 1-Part 7
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great, voice, as of a trumpet,
Saying, I am  Alpha and Omega,  the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ehesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto  Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Revelation 1:10-11

LET IT GLOW

It is always best if I write down what I see and hear, otherwise, I tend to forget it. This is especially true if it is said in a sermon or Bible study. Sometimes I can bearly get it written down before I forget. I am now writing in my second journal. I write down significant quotes, ideas, principles which I want to remember or have available to review. Another reason I keep a journal is for my spiritual legacy to leave my family. Do you keep a spiritual journal?

The voice of Christ is likened to a trumpet sound to indicate that the message was a matter of great public importance. (Falwell)

Even though John was in exile, imprisoned on an island because of his faithfulness to his Savior, John continued to worship the Lord Jesus. That was when the Holy Spirit spoke to him.

Hebrews 10:25 states, Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 

In John 10:28, Jesus says, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

Are we as faithful to attending worship services as we could be?
Whenever we are, are our ears and heart open to hear the Holy Spirit speak to us?
When we hear, are we obedient?
Do I follow Jesus' voice?

LET IT GROW

In verse 8 and 11, Jesus identified Himself as Alpha and Omega. Jesus gives directions to John:
  • Notice  and remember what you see;
  • Write what you see in a book;
  • Send the book to the seven churches in Asia (those listed in the verse).
Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in you instructions. Ps. 119:18 NLT

Open your mouth wide and I will fill it with good things.  Ps. 81:10 NLT

I am not sure which direction the Lord is leading me concerning my writing. So I am walking step by step. So far, it is His will for me to write this blog. I am open to where He leads next.

In chapter 2, we will get further into details with each church. So stay tuned.

Christ selected these seven churches because their situations represented conditions applicable to churches of every age, including our own. Ephesians, the first of the seven churches and John's own home, was nearest to Patmos. The rest of the churches were on a natural overland route in the specific order given by Christ. (Swindoll)

The seven churches, to whom the book is sent, are named in the order messengers would carry letters, going from northwest to northeast and southeast. (Falwell)

I suggest finding a map of the New Testament times and connecting the dots of these 7 cities, which will make it easier to understand.

I wonder which church you and I are members of. (food for thought)


LET IT GO

Spend less time for my pleasure and more time in God's Word.

Open my ears to the Holy Spirit.

Obey what I hear.

Write what He tells me to write.








No comments:

Post a Comment