Monday, January 28, 2013

Am I a Hot, Cold, or Lukewarm Christian?

679.  "Am I a Hot, Cold, or Lukewarm Christian?"         January 28, 2013
Revelation 3-Part 3
I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.  Revelation 3:15-16) KJV


Background
City of Laodicea:
Laodicea was located about 40 miles southeast of Philadelphia. It was name after the wife of its monarch, Antiochus II.
This city was noted for its three things-their wealth, their clothing, and their healing ointment. Their location on the important Asia trade routes, the Laodiceans recovered from the devastation of the earthquake in AD 60. It was a major banking center of Asia Minor.  It had a thriving trade, with garments woven from a special wool. It was famous for its medicines and physicians. They mixed a Phygian powder with water and used it as a salve to treat ailments of the eye.
The major porblem which the Laodicea had was a lack of good water supply. It could not produce the healing power of hot water like neighboring Hierapolis, nor could it produce the refreshing cold water found in Colossae. They had only lukewarm water, to which Jesus referred that He intended to spit them out of His mouth unless they repented.

Church of Laodicea:
In later times, it was a Christian city of importance and was the residence of a bishop, as well as the meeting place of church councils. Pride and self-satisfaction characterized the people and made their impression on the church as well. The city was destroyed by the Moslems in the Middle Ages, and today the site of the once wealthy city is a mass of ruins.
The church began through the ministry of Epaphras, while Paul was ministering in Ephesus (Col. 1:7), though Paul never visited there.

LET IT GLOW

Christ  refers to Himself as the:
  • Amen-the One who establishes all God's promises; the Last Word, the Ultimate Authority, the Finality of all things. All the promises of God are fulfilled in Christ. They are unconditional covenants which are guaranteed and affirmed by the person and work of Jesus.
  • The Faithful and True Witness-All God's witnesses have failed at one time or another, but Christ never has.
  • The beginning of the creation of God-He is the Head of the new creation; the first-born of creation.
Who has the first and last words in my conversations? Is it Jesus or me? Do I share that He is faithful and true?

LET IT GROW

Along the highway that leads from our neighboring town to a  city, we would often see people parked on the side of the road when I was a kid up to the 80's. They had gallon jugs and glass jars, filling them with cool, clear spring water here in the mountains. Once my husband and I stopped to get a drink. It was so fresh and natural without all the added purifying ingredients and cool to drink. I understand why folks wanted the spring water to take home.

I contrast, a city in our state used to be well known nationally for its hot springs. I have seen pictures of the elaborate hotels, spas, and hot pools back in the old days. They were used for medicinal purposes (arthritis) and pleasure (for the elite rich party people) . (I never checked them out.)

I was reminded of these two opposites in our state-cold water and hot water resources when I read about Laodicea. Its neighboring cities of Colosse was famous for its cold, refreshing mountain stream, while Hierapolis was famous for its hot springs.

Laodicea's water source was not like those two cities. It was dirty, tepid, lukewarm water that flowed for miles through an underground aqueduct. Visitors unaccustomed to it, immediately spat it out.

Jesus compared the church at Laodicea  to its water system-lukewarm. It was neither cold, openly rejecting Christ, nor hot, filled with spiritual zeal. Instead, its members were lukewarm, hypocrites professing to know Christ, but not truly belonging to Him.
Jesus told this church that He will vomit them out of His mouth. Just like the dirty, tepid water of Laodicea, these self-deceived hypocrites sickened Christ.

Am I lukewarm spiritually, a lukewarm Christian, or am I hot or cold for Christ? Does my life make Him want to spit me out of His mouth? What about my church? He wants me hot for Jesus. Something to ponder.

LET IT GO

Make sure Jesus has the final word, the amen of my prayers.

Your will, Your way, today, I pray.

Stop being a cold Christian; don't be lukewarm, be hot for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment