Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Walking in Sin

605.  " Walking in Sin"            September 12, 2012
1 John 1-Part 3  (Verses 8-10)

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.  1 John 1:8-10

LET IT GLOW

I make mistakes. I am not perfect. I am only human. Yes, Linda is a sinner. In fact, I am a sinner in need of a Savior's forgiveness all day long. If I am not sinning in an action, then I am sinning in my thoughts. If I am not sinning in my thoughts, then I am sinning with my words. Are you with me friends? At least I am not alone in this.
Paul, in Romans 3:10, quotes Psalm 14:1-3, There is none that doeth good, no, not one. (verse 3)

The good part is that if I confess my sins, God will forgive me and cleanse me of all unrighteousness because He is faithful and just. So then, though I walk in sin some days, several days, most of the day, I don't have to. All I have to do is confess my sins and ask God to forgive me. Now why don't I do that all day long, several days? Why do I wait until the end of the day to confess my sins? I start out my morning with prayer, so why not pray without ceasing as 1 Thessalonians says? Why? Why? Am I walking in sin?

I think the key word is only two letters long-if. Forgiveness is waiting and available anytime I need it.

Confess means to admit or declare one's self guilt of what one is accused of. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Confess is a verb in present tense; it means we should keep on confessing our sin, instead of a one-for-all confession of sin at our conversion. We will be forgiven because Jesus paid the penalty of our sin. (Guzik)

I agree with God that I have disobeyed His Word, done wrong, need forgiveness. The only thing I have to do is confess. I don't have to work it off, do so many good deeds to replace the sinful ones.

God will keep His promise-He will forgive me. He will cleanse me from all unrighteousness. There aren't any degrees of sin, as we humans like to think. I should not compare myself with another, making me the good ole gal. There will always be people who are farther along in their Christian growth than I am and those not as far along. so I should not compare myself. Jesus is to be my standard for my life.
Is Jesus my standard for my life? Am I surrendering to Him?

LET IT GROW

John Gill said, "These words are not addressed to the Gentile sinners, but a generation which had grown up in the church. It emphasizes the Christian's constant need of a pardoning Savior."

On the other hand, if I do not confess my sins, saying I have no sin, then:
  • I deceive myself (verse 8)
  • the truth is not in me (verse 8)
  • I make God a liar (verse 10)
  • God's Word is not in me (verse 10).
Since God has said that all people are sinners, to deny that fact is to blaspheme God with slander that defames His name.  (MacArthur)

If a sinner never admits to being a sinner, salvation cannot result. (Matt. 19:16-22)

God makes known His forgiving love to the one who confesses his sins. (Gill)

As I said at the beginning, Linda is a sinner. Will we all admit it today? Am I walking in sin? Is my lifestyle that of an unbeliever or a believer? Am I living Christ-like?

LET IT GO

Let go of my pride and confess my sins.

Ask His forgiveness throughout the day.

Walk in the Light, not in sin.




No comments:

Post a Comment